How to cope when at a restaurant ...

Blackbird1987
on 3/27/14 11:58 am

I am only 5 weeks out of RNY surgery but in a few weeks I will have guests visiting from out of town and I know they are going to want to go out to eat while they are here. 

I am a little nervous about going out for the first time. What do I eat? I am planning on going somewhere local that has fresh and healthy options but are there any suggestions? 

I am staying away from the obvious like fried foods, high in fat and meet that is too tough, however suggestions would be great! 

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you! 

basilmk
on 3/27/14 2:31 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I had to work out of town around five weeks out and my go to dinner was usually shrimp scampi,  I could eat two or three shrimp and be perfectly happy...I also had black bean soup, bean with bacon soup, tuna salad for lunch or dinner.

When you know you are going out, take a few minutes and check out the menu online....I'm going out to dinner tomorrow and have already checked the menu and am considering which of the seafood appetizers I'll choose.

You can do this, and as you will be home, you'll have access to things like yogurt and cheese sticks for at home snacks.

MickeyDee
on 3/27/14 3:42 pm

A shrimp appetizer with some salad an you'll be good!  Just make sure it's not fried--greasy wasn't kind to me too early out.

MickeyDee
on 3/27/14 3:42 pm
Lora R.
on 3/27/14 9:18 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

Don't try anything new, lol.  Have them make it the exact way you want it. 

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/27/14 11:31 pm

Mild poached fish was my to go option early on.  Add steamed veggies and I was set. Even now when ii get small pouch days I pick that because it is so easy on my system.   When erveryone is eating bread or  appetizer - I sip on hot coffee or tea... I drin****il 5-10 min before my meal. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

aesposito
on 3/27/14 11:35 pm

Soup/chili were my restaurant go-to's for months.  Even now I'll order soup or chili when Pouchy is feeling meh...

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/14 11:46 pm

I always check menus before I go out.Or I go to a place I know won't make me sick.Some of the food chains before surgery made me sick so I stay away from them.

It can be scary going out for the first time.Maybe you could go out before they come to a place you are comfortable in.I always look at it great someone is going to wait on me and clean up after myself.It is so nice not to be in the kitchen cleaning up after everyone.I do love to cook but hate to clean.

Dcgirl
on 3/28/14 1:00 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Awww don't be nervous!  I traveled for a week for work only 4 weeks out, and had no problems.  Every place has SOMETHING.  Even a pizza place may have a cheese plate.  An asian place will have seared tuna.  A mediterranean place has kebabs.  A Mexican place has shrimp or chicken fajitas that you can eat a few bites of.  I end up eating out more than I want to (social obligations + work obligations) and I have yet to be at a place that has zero options.  Have fun :)  The goal here is to get back to a "normal" life and be able to do things like go to restaurants.  

One thing I will say is that you will be SHOCKED at portion sizes, post-opp.  And how much your friends and family can eat (even though you likely could eat that and more before surgery lol!).

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/14 1:27 am

Portion size and how much people eat sometimes astounds me.Also how fast they eat to.Or how big of bites they take.I have stopped doing that it makes me eat too fast.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 3 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 336 views