Recent RNY Gastric Bypass 2/25/14

Blackbird1987
on 3/26/14 8:13 am

Hello! 

I am new to this message board and looking to connect with others who have had bariatric surgery. 

I just had my RNY February 25th and yesterday marks 1 month post op! So far I am doing well, the last few weeks were really really tough for me but each day I am stronger and more optimistic. I received the "go-ahead" from my doctors to start adding in regular foods to my diet and I was looking to see if anyone had some tips for good foods to start out. 

I made a really lean turkey chili and so far so good and I also have had good luck with toast and scrambled eggs but dairy is a no-go for me since my surgery, it makes me feel nauseous. Any tips?

:) Nice to meet you all.

-Blackbird1987

Kimberly K.
on 3/26/14 10:25 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Welcome! I am new too. Had my surgery just 3/21  and actually just started pureed today. So I am not much help to you except to say nice to meet you. This is a great message board and I have learned so much from the experienced people here.

Kim K.    

SandraF0823
on 3/26/14 10:37 am - CA
RNY on 12/30/13

Welcome! Bariatric Foodie has a great blog with tons of recipe ideas. I am almost 12 weeks out. In the beginning I ate a lot of ricotta with mariners sauce and soups.

Louise1974
on 3/26/14 10:42 am

Welcome!  I am so glad you are feeling a bit better.  Those first few weeks can be tough.  I liked black beans with cheese melted on top with a bit of salsa.  Yummy.  I don't like the nitrates and additives but thinly sliced deli meat (like turkey) worked really well for me.  I also ate a lot of tofu in the beginning.  I would get extra firm tofu and find some sauces from the grocery store in the marinade aisle.  Asian and Indian work well (bu****ch out for high sugar contents).  I would slice the tofu into 3/4 inch pieces, marinate in the sauce and then just fry in a pan.  Because of the marinade I didn't need any fat.  I found that in those early months tofu was very easy to tolerate.  I also adapted as many of my family's usual recipes so that I could eat them as well and we could all eat the same dinner.  For example, i would make tofu and veggie stir fry with rice and I would just eat the tofu.  Or I would make a meaty tomato sauce and pasta and I would just have the sauce. 

Have fun with food!!!  I remember how great everything tasted after all those weeks on liquid and pureed foods. 

aesposito
on 3/26/14 12:33 pm
On March 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM Pacific Time, Blackbird1987 wrote:

Hello! 

I am new to this message board and looking to connect with others who have had bariatric surgery. 

I just had my RNY February 25th and yesterday marks 1 month post op! So far I am doing well, the last few weeks were really really tough for me but each day I am stronger and more optimistic. I received the "go-ahead" from my doctors to start adding in regular foods to my diet and I was looking to see if anyone had some tips for good foods to start out. 

I made a really lean turkey chili and so far so good and I also have had good luck with toast and scrambled eggs but dairy is a no-go for me since my surgery, it makes me feel nauseous. Any tips?

:) Nice to meet you all.

-Blackbird1987

When you add "regular foods", try all kinds of different stuff, since one person's pouch acts diffferently than another person's.  But remember to stay protein-forward.  I wouldn't be eating toast this early out, or any other carb-heavy foods for that matter, until I had fulfilled my protein and fluid requirements for the day.  In fact, I can't remember for sure, but I don't think I was even allowed to eat bread for the first several months after surgery.

And remember, many "low fat" foods have added sugars and chemicals to make up for the low-fatness. 

I know all nutritionists and surgeons have different plans, but as you will learn on this board, that doesn't always make them right.

Dairy didn't used to bother me either, but lately it does.  And it's been more than 2 years since my surgery too.  A shame, since one of may major go-to's after surgery was cottage cheese (full-fat, fyi, not low-fat).

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

basilmk
on 3/26/14 1:16 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

From reading posts here, I found that it is not unusual to have an issue with milk post op. For the first time ever, it made me sick so I switched to Lactaid for my protein shakes with no problems. I can, however, eat cheese and yogurt with no reaction.

Good luck with your journey...

Blackbird1987
on 3/26/14 10:21 pm

Thank you everyone! These responses have really helped me. Occasionally, I feel really defeated when I am trying to think of things that I can eat that I like or can tolerate and it is good to know that others were in the same boat or found creative ways to eat the food that they liked. 

I have had such a difficult time getting my protein in for the day and the powders and shakes just taste awful for me so I am hoping that with meat and beans in my diet now, things will start looking up for me :) 

Louise1974
on 3/26/14 11:48 pm

It is hard in the beginning because you are SO limited.  But before you know it you will be able to eat all sorts of things.  This early phase is just temporary.  I am 18 months out now and I eat awesome food that tastes really good.  You will get there.  It was such a shock to me in the beginning to have so many things no longer an option.  I was as prepared as I could be for it but it still shocked me.  And sometimes I would just get sad.  Sad that I couldn't eat certain things or big quantities of things.  Everyone has their own way of dealing with things but I found that by letting myself grieve a little and acknowledge that I had lost something it made it easier to move through it. 

Lethy
on 3/26/14 11:54 pm
RNY on 09/10/13 with

I find the more i blend my shakes the less chalky they are. Mines taste really creamy. Also I agree what previous poster said about bread. Try to stay away from bread. Eat your protein first. Welcome and good luck.

JJ0609
on 3/27/14 12:09 am

Hello and Welcome! I am a newbie to the site and invite all who are new to friend me as I am looking to branch out to other WLS patients s well. I am looking for  people who do not mind sharing information, asking questions, or answering inquiries as well as making friends as we together live with the issues that RNY surgery or other WLS has given us. I had RNY surgery in 06/09 and got down to 118 lbs. If you read my wall you will find that my whole story. In 11/13 I had stomach and colon revision due to having a second pouch or candy cane pouch which caused me extreme pain. Now I am battling 8 lbs. to reach my new goal of 115 lbs. I look forward to getting to know you individually as we explore life together.

As far as what to eat in the beginning, I stayed on soft foods (yogurts, cottage cheese, cream cheese, Baby Bells, protein shakes) for a long time and slowly invited lunch meat, string cheese, bananas, pimento cheese, tuna/chicken salad, etc. Just be careful and chew, chew, chew. Remember small slow bites. Chew with mouth closed. No talking while having food in your mouth. Put your utensil down between bites and mush the food up.       

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 287 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 258 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 200 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 136 views