Pre-Op Diet Differences

nfoy413
on 3/15/14 2:17 pm - Memphis, TN

I know that each doctor does things different, but it seems to be consistent theme on here where most folks are placed on an "all liquid" live shrink diet prior to surgery.  My doctor has a standard live shrink diet that consists of protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, with a small fruit in between each meal, and a very strict meal plan for supper which consists of a 3 oz meat, a non-starchy vegetable, perhaps a small plain bake potato, a salad with vingrette.  Basically a very low-carb, low-fat. low-calorie diet for two weeks.  It makes me wonder if my liver will shrink enough by being allowed to eat fruit as a in between meal snack, and a descent supper!  Strange to see so many commenting on this "all liquid" pre-op diet and no one commenting about my type of diet.  Has other post-op folks on here have a similiar diet as me?  Were there any issues with the liver being too fatty?  I have tomorrow as my last remaining day to eat before Monday's all clear liquid diet, and a wake up for Tuesday's early morning surgery!! 

SHMILY
on 3/15/14 3:36 pm

My surgeon had me to 800-1000 cal a day for two weeks, I had protein shake twice a day and a small lean meal at night. I also lost 13 lbs. Good luck on your surgery

basilmk
on 3/15/14 5:38 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Even among patients from the same surgeon, pre op diets are varied. I only had two days of all liquid and when I asked, I was told that diet is determined by pre op labs. Not everyone needs an extended liquid diet.

poet_kelly
on 3/15/14 7:47 pm - OH

Some docs don't recommend any special pre op diet.

FYI, though, potatoes are starchy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RNY on 10/21/13

I did not have a pre-op diet as I was told to really do any significant shrinkage of the liver you'd have to be on that type of diet for a lot longer than two weeks. 

The day before surgery I could only eat/drink clear liquids and had to do two lovely bowel preps (invest in flushable wet wipes if you have to do this, trust me on this one). He noticed during surgery my liver was a little fatty and he took a biopsy just to be on the safe side and all came back fine. They had no difficulty maneuving around my liver and surgery went well. I was told the best thing to do for the fatty liver was to lose weight so hopefully it's in better shape now. 

FWIW, baked potatoes are a starchy vegetable. A non-starchy veg would be green beans, asparagus, broccoli, etc. I only mention that because many of us steer clear of starchy vegetables after surgery because of the simple carbs. Your plan may differ - follow YOUR plan. 

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery! 

LAP RNY 10.21.13  Pounds lost by month: 1: 34 2: 25 3: 16 4: 12 5: 7 6: 18 7: 10 8: 8 9:15 10:10 11: 10  12:  Total so far: 190! pounds

selhard
on 3/16/14 12:03 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Reading on OH about pre-op diets made me wonder if I missed something cause I was unaware such a thing existed.  Wondering why my surgeon didn't have a pre-op requirement has been a mystery up until yesterday when someone posted her liquid diet made her feel like strangling the munching husband.  Mystery solved...this Minnesota surgeon probably figures keeping the spouse alive is in everyone's best interest :)

RNY on 10/21/13

Hahaha, you are so right! It was bad enough listening to my husband eat and smell his food a week or two after surgery let alone 2 or more weeks before surgery. 

LAP RNY 10.21.13  Pounds lost by month: 1: 34 2: 25 3: 16 4: 12 5: 7 6: 18 7: 10 8: 8 9:15 10:10 11: 10  12:  Total so far: 190! pounds

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/16/14 3:01 am - OH

Many surgeons believe that it doesn't do anything to shrink the liber in only a week or two, but that what it DOES do is send you into major surgery in a weakened physical condition.  Those things are why my surgeon did not require one.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

tdbull
on 3/16/14 1:55 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I didn't have any pre op diet, just quit eating my midnight the night before my surgery.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

MarilynDee
on 3/16/14 2:03 am

3 years ago when had my surgery I was on a 20 carbohydrates a day diet with clear liquid the day before.

DeeW

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views