low blood sugar

SHMILY
on 3/6/14 8:46 am

8 days post op. I was type 2 diabetic before surgery and of course was taken of the Metformin. Today my BS has been in the 50's. Can I drink some apple juice or will that make me dump??? I will call Dr office tomorrow about Bs.

Karen518
on 3/6/14 9:43 am

Does your BS go up when you drink your protein drinks. 50 isn't too too low unless you are having symptoms.  Drinking fruit juice might cause a spike and crash.  Might be better to have something that will metabolize Mose slowly and evenly.  Definitely call your doctor tomorrow.  If you need to bring it up, a small amount of juice probably wouldn't cause a problem.  Hope things smooth out for you.  I was also diabetic.  Having blood sugar that is normal is fantastic!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/6/14 1:47 pm, edited 3/6/14 1:47 pm

Early post op milk was great for that for me.  Milk has proteins and sugars.   As long as you can tolerate lactose - that may be great. Or plain yogurt. Bu****ch for lactose intolerance. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SHMILY
on 3/6/14 10:10 pm

I am not at the stage to have yogurt yet. I have 2-3 Premiere Shakes a day

southernpeachnc
on 3/7/14 5:07 am

My Endocrinologist's had me stop my glypizide and Metformin totally.  I was then taken off insulin.  The range she quoted me was 90 to 120.  She had me coming off meds when I went below 90.  If you are in the 50's per my Dr you'd be coming of the Metformin or at least decreasing it a lot!  I had gotten the 40's and 50's and she had me stop things immediately.  50 is definitely LOW.  You need to call your doctor asap.

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

SHMILY
on 3/7/14 6:49 am

As I stated in my initial post, I stopped my Metformin 24 hrs post op. I spoke with the doc today and said to monitor it 3 x a day and to drink a little apple juice if it drops below 70. My diabetes was found in my pre-op workup so was only on Metformin a couple of months...it was 90 this morning.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 179 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 268 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?