Crackers, Chicken Pot Pie So Soon After Surgery?

Sweetish
on 3/2/14 6:30 am
RNY on 12/12/14

I am pre-op, but I was wondering...are crackers, canned soup and chicken pot pie normal to eat three months after surgery?  A friend of mine had surgery three months ago and he said that is all he is able to eat for the most part, without feeling nauseated.

He said that he needs to have something to eat.  Something is better than nothing, and he is not increasing his protein with powders to meet his protein intake because he doesn't like the flavored or unflavored protein powders.  I am wondering if all those carbs are safe to eat so soon.  Do you think this is a sign that his surgery will not be successful? When I try to lend my opinion from what I have read on this site, he becomes defensive and tells me, "You will see what it's like when you have your surgery."   He said that he can't stomach protein powders-I am afraid I will be in the same boat after my surgery as I can't stomach them either.  He currently is not meeting his daily protein goals as of surgery.  Just wondering, is it like this for a lot of post-ops?

baepage
on 3/2/14 6:40 am - MA
RNY on 04/22/13

I think he really needs to work on getting his protein in.  I wasn't eating crackers at 3 months out, I am going into my 10 month post op this month, and I now only have a few crackers every once in awhile.  Some people never have protein drinks.  He can get protein from food.  I would have him contact a nutritionist.  I wish him lots of luck.

Barbara

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/2/14 6:42 am - OH

No, that is NOT what it is like for a lot of post-ops.  It is not even what it is like for a significant number of post-ops.  There are a number of red flags in terms of how successful your friend will be long term (the carbs, the fat in the pot pies, the lack of protein, his defensiveness).   He needs to work with his surgeon to make healthier choices.  He will lose weight easily for 6 months or so no matter what kind of crap he eats (why he would even TRY a pot pie, which is a horrible choice nutritionally, is beyond me, even if he was having trouble with nausea), but he is going to be in trouble after that (and even bigger trouble long term).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

QoftheU
on 3/3/14 2:10 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

^^^ what she said!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Qajohn
on 3/2/14 6:42 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

You'll get lots of different answers because everyone is diffrent, and it seems that each program is different as well. In my case, I was able to start eating "normal food" as I could tolerate it 6 weeks out from surgery. Additionally, my clinic des not want us to consume any liquid calories after the first two weeks from surgery, so I need to get all my protein from food. I do use protein powder sometimes to "fortify" some soft foods, but I do not drink protein shakes. I have just started eating small quantites of beef, and I have tried Indian food, Mexican food and all sorts of chicken dishes. 

Basically, with each meal, I eat a protein source, and some fruit, vegetable or grain. I am averaging 500 calories a day and about 55gms of protein. Again, I know this is low compared to others, but its exactly where I was told to be. 

snowdove
on 3/2/14 6:47 am

I am not post op yet, but I would just like to say, your a good friend to be concerned, and don't let his negativity make you feel like you won't find ways to get your protein in,. I think he needs to try other ways in better choices of food to get protein in , but he really needs to talk to his dr.

southernpeachnc
on 3/2/14 6:55 am

Your friends words are a bit disturbing in that he obviously has not sought help from his NUT or Dr's office for the nausea.  He is eating things like chicken pot pie (assuming he's eating the crust) etc.  Post op we all have had to find protein powder / shakes/ etc that we like.  You will to. It's true things you liked pre-surgery may not be good tasting to you post surgery. You don't give up though!

You can gently suggest he contact his doctor to get to the bottom of the nausea problem.  These are decisions only he can make for himself to stay on his program.  You will want to steer clear of any rationalizations for eating off program as he may be doing.  I say this as he became defensive when you lent your opinion. I wish the best for your friend.  You'll be glad when you join the losers club here.  Remember the majority of us do quite well and the issues brought up here are few in respect to the masses. We all need encouragement thought!

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

JenniPenny
on 3/2/14 7:06 am - MN

Some people refuse to change their lifestyle to follow the rules. To answer your question - no he won't be successful. I'm 13 yrs out and still don't do crackers hardly ever. Pot pie is made with high fat cream type

gravy-if you make it with lean meat, veggies and broth - no crust, no milk based gravy it's ok. If he can't stomach protein powders that's fine. Then get it from food. I was never on protein shakes or

drinks as per my doc. All my protein came from food from early out. At 3 months he should be able to get in 3 meals a day- protein only or protein forward, little bit of veggies and maybe a bite or two of fruit

when he has room. Don't try to sway his thinking - he's not ready to change yet. Sadly many go that route. Do what you have to do for you when you have the surgery. Nice that you can recognize bad

behaviors now so you won't do them yourself. He needs more water to NOT be nauseated and protein to make him feel better. You'll find that out when you have your surgery. Carbs are our downfall, early

out and farther down the road. They just aren't that necessary - we can get full on good foods, lean meats, dairy, veggies and a variety of foods we thought we would never eat again. Carbs seem to be a

go to food for many but we have to cut them out almost entirely to be successful. A cracker with soup isn't going to kill you but constantly making up a diet of carbs can sabotage your success later.  No it's

not like this for most post ops. We go into this with our eyes wide open ready to make the changes necessary to lose weight and keep it off-the reason for the surgery duh???? Those that don't follow the rules

either aren't ready to be compliant or have other issues that keep them from being successful. If your head isn't in the game this won't work. Depression, anxiety, OCD or ADD need to be addressed before our

surgery so we don't wreck it for ourselves later. We need to be able to cope without our drug'food. when we don't have it we have to find other ways to cope. taking care of mental health issues first will

make this a lot easier. It is easy after the first few months. The weight comes off regularly, we find we feel better, we exercise more, eat less, lose weight, move more, etc. It's a wonderful circle. But we have to

keep it up and take care of ourselves long term. Hang in there with your friend. Concentrate on you and let him find out for himself what he needs to do for him. He won't do it for someone else. We have to

do this for us. But it is so worth it and so are we.

Jen 13 yrs post op RNY

Sweetish
on 3/3/14 2:38 pm
RNY on 12/12/14

Thank you for your response.  I will keep this as a reference if you don't mind.  I will stand by my friend and hopefully will soon be able to support him with the knowledge I will have from my own surgery.  I know what he is doing is NOT what all of the successful people on here say to do as far as what to eat.

I did talk to him today to see how everything is going and I did mention to him that when I talked to my nutritionist from my surgeon's office, she had said to always start every meal off with your protein first, always, always, always.  He then told me that he has a hard time with protein, but he did have a couple pieces of cheese and five crackers for breakfast this morning.  Which, just doesn't seem like a healthy breakfast, surgery or not.  

I have been reading everyone's very helpful posts on here and for myself, in the future when I do have my surgery, it will be a personal decision to make the right choices everyday so that I can live a longer, healthier life.  I have a long journey ahead and thank you for your honest and sincere words, that's what keeps me coming back here to learn from all of you.  I learn something from everyone's point of view.  Thanks again!!

poet_kelly
on 3/2/14 7:52 am - OH

I don't think it's normal for people to eat only those things, no.  It's not that the carbs are unsafe, it's that not getting enough protein is not safe.  And it's a sign that he may not have the success he wants to have, because this surgery is only a tool.  If he chooses not to use it properly, then he won't likely get the desired effects.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 299 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 253 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 150 views
Recent Topics