Confused about liquid requirements

mama2418
on 3/1/14 6:18 am
RNY on 02/13/14

I am suppose to get 64oz of liquids a day. What I am confused about is can you only take in 4oz at a time like food our does water wash right through. I am on full liquid right now going to pureed on Wednesday. 

"This too shall pass" and then we go shopping!   

rvtisme
on 3/1/14 6:33 am
RNY on 12/16/13

You should be able to take in as much as your stomach/pouch will allow. For some, 4 oz is fine, for others it's not, newly post op. Water doesn't stay in the pouch very long, like food does, so keep sipping sipping sipping. If you are on protein shakes, you'll may notice they feel heavier in your pouch, and takes longer to drink than water.

good luck to you.

HW: 355, SW 314.2, GW: 165 - Surgery Date 12/16/13

poet_kelly
on 3/1/14 7:08 am - OH

You can drink as much at a time as feels comfortable to you.  You can't stretch your pouch or damage anything by drinking.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

autumn01
on 3/2/14 2:31 am - OH
RNY on 08/12/14

Just asked my girlfriend this question she is 6 years out..doing wonderful ...anyway she said whatever you do...do not drink 30 minutes b4 or after eating number 1 and 2nd water goes right through BUT you still cant gulp....she said SIP SIP SIP....i hope that helps you some,, have a great day.

miranda537
on 3/2/14 4:30 am
RNY on 09/23/13

It was difficult for me in the very beginning and its better now but still I'm not where I should be.   I wasn't drinking enough nor eating/drinking enough protein.  I was getting dizzy when standing up after sitting or laying down and the nutritionist told me it was from not getting enough water and protein and I needed to be careful.  I had to really focus on drinking more and week by week it got easier and the dizziness stopped.  I recently learned that the new suggestion for water is 1/2 your body weight in ounces.  For me thats 85ounces since I now weigh 170lbs.  In the beginning my recommendation was 4-6oz per hour in the pureed stage. Set the amount out in bottles in the morning and just work on it all day, as they say, sip, sip, sip.  It will get easier.

mama2418
on 3/3/14 5:26 am
RNY on 02/13/14

Thank you for your help

"This too shall pass" and then we go shopping!   

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 295 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views