Side affect from surgery I didn't expect

Lea Terrell
on 2/26/14 3:30 am

Woke up yesterday with pain on my upper left flank right below where your bra strap would be...large rash, burning, sensitive to the touch.  Went to the doctor...SHINGLES... found out shingles can be triggered by trauma to the body ie. gastric bypass.  They put me on some antibiotic, took one yesterday afternoon, one before bed and I am sicker than a dog...can't have any more bowel movements...nothing left...can't drink or eat, makes me puke...don't know how I am going to take the meds today.  Had to call in sick to work and have been laying on the sofa all morning now. Very scared.  Sucks.

RNY - 12/26/2013.  H W: 278.   SW: 230                                                                                                     

poet_kelly
on 2/26/14 3:38 am - OH

Call your doc and let him know the meds are making you sick.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 2/26/14 3:39 am - OH

Oh, and shingles is a virus, right?  So why did they give you antibiotics for it?  Maybe I'm confused.  But I thought it was caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox.  But antibiotics don't help with viruses.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lea Terrell
on 2/26/14 3:50 am

Thanks Kelly, I left a message for my doctor.  The Medicine they gave me is Acyclovir 800 mg 5x a day.  Not sure they told me it will shorten the length of the Shingles.  Shingles is the virus that lives in people who had the chicken pox.

Colleen O.
on 2/26/14 5:39 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Acyclovir is an antiviral.  It's used to treat herpes and other viruses along with shingles.  I have had shingles and I know it is not fun.  I hope you recover quickly!!  Rest and take care of yourself. 

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

RainbowRN
on 2/26/14 4:06 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Acyclovir is the best med for shingles.  It's not an antibiotic. Good luck to you!!  Shingles is rough.  

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Lea Terrell
on 2/26/14 4:08 am

thanks much!  I wish I could keep some food or liquid down. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/26/14 4:12 am

if meds make me sick to my stomach - I typically take benadryl with it.. that helps me. And ginger tea...lots of ginger tea.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

basilmk
on 2/26/14 5:28 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I have had many friends who have had shingles and I urge everyone to get the shingles shot from your PCP.  You can still get the virus but it is a very light case.  Most insurance plans pay for preventive innoculations such as this.

Re the antibiotics...I don't know what is typically prescribed for Shingles but I know that when I was given masive amounts of antibiotics after an infection in a previous leg surgery, I was able to control the nausea by taking doctor recommended liquid probiotics called Kefir Probiotic Smoothie that I bought in the supermarket.  It made a huge difference and stopped the neusea.  Sometimes these are found in the dairy dept with all other yogurts and sometimes in the health-food area.

Good luck with both the shingles and the treatment!

gtrdyfor50
on 2/26/14 5:58 am
RNY on 10/08/13
I am sorry that you are going through this.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 292 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views