The Power of Visualization

tdbull
on 2/16/14 3:42 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I just read an article on the Power of Visualization, and how this can help us achieve our goals. Thought I'd share a little with you.
Positive images set the mental stage for positive results. When you visualize yourself making healthy choices at a restaurant, when you see yourself confidently walking on the treadmill, and when you imagine yourself joyfully buying clothes two sizes smaller you are training your mind to assist you in making those choices in reality.

How you see yourself is the greatest predictor of your weight loss success. For example, if you are determined to lose fifty pounds yet hold onto the mental picture of yourself as a "fat" person you will continue to make choices based on that "fat" image of yourself rather than choices based on seeing yourself as fit and healthy. As you visualize yourself reaching your goal weight you more naturally make healthy choices based on this new image. Visualize yourself succeeding.
Here's a visualization exercise to do every day. This simple technique is easy and fun.
?Sit in a quiet place and take several deep breaths to relax.
?Now close your eyes and picture yourself having reached your weight loss goal.
?Notice and experience the feelings associated with your goal rather than the specific outcome of numbers on a scale. For example, visualize yourself confidently walking along the beach in your bathing suit, feel the exhilaration of exercising your body, or imagine yourself experiencing peace of mind while eating at a restaurant with friends.
?Do this for five minutes daily.

Consistent positive visualization feeds your mind images of success. This strengthens your motivation, improves your confidence and keeps you focused on your goal.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

SteveWebb
on 2/16/14 8:42 am - NC

I am two weeks post-op.  I have cleaned out the closet and taken all the fat clothes to goodwill.  I now have pants hanging I can't get into yet, but will by summer.  I plan to throw all those out when the time comes.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

PetHairMagnet
on 2/16/14 9:42 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM Pacific Time, tdbull wrote:
I just read an article on the Power of Visualization, and how this can help us achieve our goals. Thought I'd share a little with you.
Positive images set the mental stage for positive results. When you visualize yourself making healthy choices at a restaurant, when you see yourself confidently walking on the treadmill, and when you imagine yourself joyfully buying clothes two sizes smaller you are training your mind to assist you in making those choices in reality.

How you see yourself is the greatest predictor of your weight loss success. For example, if you are determined to lose fifty pounds yet hold onto the mental picture of yourself as a "fat" person you will continue to make choices based on that "fat" image of yourself rather than choices based on seeing yourself as fit and healthy. As you visualize yourself reaching your goal weight you more naturally make healthy choices based on this new image. Visualize yourself succeeding.
Here's a visualization exercise to do every day. This simple technique is easy and fun.
?Sit in a quiet place and take several deep breaths to relax.
?Now close your eyes and picture yourself having reached your weight loss goal.
?Notice and experience the feelings associated with your goal rather than the specific outcome of numbers on a scale. For example, visualize yourself confidently walking along the beach in your bathing suit, feel the exhilaration of exercising your body, or imagine yourself experiencing peace of mind while eating at a restaurant with friends.
?Do this for five minutes daily.

Consistent positive visualization feeds your mind images of success. This strengthens your motivation, improves your confidence and keeps you focused on your goal.

I agree with this!

I bought clothes when I was still a 28/26 all the way down to a 14 and not just one or two things...I'm talking over 100 pieces of clothing and grouped them by size in my closet and envisioned myself in them, would try them on each week and celebrate as they got closer and closer to fitting and now here I am buying 10s and seeing myself in that size and the next one down and embracing it and enjoying it and reveling in it!

Daily I meditate and center myself and find that Zen place of feeling and recognizing my smaller self. 

But that is not to say I don't have moments of WOW still that shock me into really realizing my new size. But I do try and actively embrace the changes and appreciate the tool and use the goodness sakes out of it!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

emmalyn
on 2/17/14 3:34 am

I love this and do this often. It really does help guide me in making the right choices.

Lea Terrell
on 2/17/14 9:22 am

This is a great idea!! I do have post cards in my bathroom and at my desk with positive affirmations written on them that I read each day, I will have to take a few moments to reflect and visualize. thanks much!!

RNY - 12/26/2013.  H W: 278.   SW: 230                                                                                                     

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 310 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views