Help me pack

mama2418
on 2/8/14 12:26 pm
RNY on 02/13/14

My surgery is this Thursday. What should I take. What did you take, or wish you had? When I had my hysterectomy I took a body pillow to hold it helped with pain, would it be good for RNY to help pain.

suggestions would be appreciated.

"This too shall pass" and then we go shopping!   

cajungirl
on 2/8/14 12:36 pm, edited 2/8/14 12:36 pm

I bought a pillow it worked great for the ride home. Chap stick is a MUST. I recommend you pack light. I had my surgery in February also and wore something loose to the hospital and the same thing back home. I also took slip on slippers to walk the halls. They did give me socks with the grips on the bottom but I felt more comfortable with slippers.

I suggest you wear the hospital gowns only so you don't ruin a gown or robe. I asked for a second gown that I put on the opposite way when walking so I didn't expose myself. 

I took my tooth brush and paste (hospital also provided these) and a hair brush. You could bring your phone or laptop if you want I didn't and would not have used it anyway. I was either sleeping or walking. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Cunning_Pam
on 2/8/14 12:37 pm, edited 2/8/14 12:38 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

This question gets asked a lot here. If you go to the Search function (the little magnifying glass in the upper right) and search for "what to pack" you'll get a bunch of threads with a lot of good recommendations. That said, I didn't pack much, just my phone and charger, my Kindle, toothbrush and a robe.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

mama2418
on 2/8/14 12:40 pm
RNY on 02/13/14

Thanks

"This too shall pass" and then we go shopping!   

Heather D.
on 2/8/14 6:34 pm

Take a roll or 2 of your own toilet paper. Hospitals generally only have 1-ply sandpaper for us to use! Comfy slippers for walking, housecoat of you have one. I took my bed pillow just to have something that felt normal when sleeping. 

dccyr
on 2/8/14 7:40 pm

Keep it simple,  I just took a couple of pairs of underwear, chapstick and wore loose clothes.  Charger and iphone. that's it.  And I didn't need anything else while there.  I was either resting or walking.  I wore the same outfit to and from the hospital.  

4aLHSMe
on 2/8/14 9:12 pm - VA

I agree with everyone else's comments, I'm one week post op. I found you don't need much at all. I brought my own toiletries but most of it was unnecessary. Comfortable outfit to wear there and home. Your body pillow sounds great but I just used an extra pillow from the hospital and that helped. My kindle, cell phone and a charger, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, body wash, i used what the hospital provided but if you have a preference then bring it, comb, hairscrunchie, deoderant. My hospital had flushable wipes but if yours doesn't then I'd recommend bringing some. I used an extra gown from the hospital as a robe but if you'd lke the comfort of the familiar bring yours. That's about it - the only thing I wished I'd brought was maybe a pack of cards or uno to play with my hubby and daughter when they came to visit. 

rickgpgh
on 2/8/14 9:26 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 04/09/13

I was unfortunate in that I had complcations and spent a week in the hospital.  I took my ipad and it never left my bag.  I agree with the posts here.  You will not need anything that isn't already provided for the most part.  If you have a favortie slipper or shoes that would be good to bring.  I brought my leather crocs because I felt comfortable walking in them.  One thing I do recommend.  Have a friend or family member bring some of your favorite flavors of Jello or Gatorade. The hospital had the weirdest flavors of both?  So I had family bring me in my own supply. You could pack the gatorade in advance.  

Minda626
on 2/8/14 9:57 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

I had sleeve, not RNY, but I didn't use half of what I took! What I did use: chapstick (but hospital provided one I liked better than my own), comfy stretchy pants and loose shirt, slip-on sneakers, phone and tablet (alternated charging), and charger. Also I needed my own supplies because my period came the day before surgery, and the mesh panties and giant pads provided are not what you want to deal with on top of everything else! 

Good luck with your surgery on Thursday! 

VSG 12/17/13   HW 325   SW 281   GW 149

Missella20
on 2/8/14 10:37 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

Phone, charger, Chapstick loose clothes, shampoo. The hospital provided everything else. I slept, walked and sipped water. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views