Hernia/Twisted Intestine

snowball24life
on 1/26/14 1:56 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

I had emergency surgery two nights ago, as my local ER found I had a dilated/twisted intestine caused by a hernia. I am also trying to get a peptic ulcer healed as well. So I feel like a mess. My question is, has anyone else experienced a hernia that resulted in twisted intestines? And if so, did it happen a second time? Thanks.

Mo Diggity
on 1/26/14 2:43 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Sorry I don't have an answer for you :( Just curious, what kind of pain did you feel that you knew you should go to The ER ?

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

PetHairMagnet
on 1/27/14 12:43 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM Pacific Time, moken1976 wrote:

Sorry I don't have an answer for you :( Just curious, what kind of pain did you feel that you knew you should go to The ER ?

I wondered the same thing. I am so loathe to use the ER unless I am bleeding to death, I really wonder what it would take for me to go. GLAD YOU WENT!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Calla Lily
on 1/26/14 3:47 am
RNY on 01/23/12

I just has that happen last month! Wicked painful right? I hope you have a speedy recovery. (That was my one and only time... So far... and it happened at 23 months post op)

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

snowball24life
on 1/26/14 3:58 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

It started on my left side  underneath my breast, and throughout the day, radiated to my left shoulder. Yes, it was/is very painful, on top of the Peptic ulcer. From what I have heard, it is rare.

Neaucora
on 1/26/14 4:34 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

oh how horrible!  prayers of a speedy and as painless as possible recovery on the way ((((hugs))))

snowball24life
on 1/26/14 5:57 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

Thank you!

big42long
on 1/26/14 5:17 am - OH
I just had emergency surgery Nov 14 for the exact same thing! Pain was so bad it felt like labor contractions. My surgeon said it can reoccur but doesn't happen often

snowball24life
on 1/26/14 6:00 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

Hope you are feeling better! That's what my surgeon said as well, but it makes me nervous... I still cannot eat much.. 

A Q.
on 1/26/14 6:12 am - Houston, TX

I had the same thing happen. Last Sunday night I had a sudden stomach ache. The pain was above my belly button and below my breast bone. After about an hour of pain that felt like contractions, I told my husband I needed to go to the er,. Severe pain and by time I got there 45 mins later I was dry heaving. 

The er took a ct scan and lower gi. Found I had twisted intestine and hernia. Blocked bowels caused the dry heaves.  I threw up so much between 4 am diagnosis and 1pm surgery on Monday.  I am so thankful I went because it was life threatening to not get it fixed. 

I was in the hospital from Monday, released Thursday. Had really bad gas but I was able to get up and walk around as early as Monday night.  I still take the pain meds to help me sleep. I cannot eat solid food, I tried it the first night and I got very sick and threw it up. Finally on Thursday I ate some soup with chunks in it , that came up the next day after painful stomach cramps. Now all I have eaten is chicken broth and potato with sour cream and cheese. I can't eat much. 

I will go back to work tomorrow so I am on the mend.  Thankful I can dress in jeans and flats at work and can move around but sit when I need to. You definitely need to move around so that the gas does not settle. Also I just had a Bowel movement today and felt so much lighter after that. Guess it had been a long time since I had one. 

Don't ignore pain and I think I had been having symptoms of this for months now but didn't take it seriously. Plus i have gained about 10 pounds in the last year with no real explanation. 

"What you make happen for others, God will make happen for you."

RNY - 12/8/06 ; WT 233.6 ; Goal WT 130 ; Height 5'2
Tummy tuck - 9/24/07;  breast lift/reduction October 2012

Angela in Houston

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 1 replies · 10 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views