6 months out and stomach pain

sarah_durso
on 1/24/14 1:21 pm

It's not every day, and it's mainly in the evening. I get a terrible abdominal pain. I got it tonight and it was several hours after eating.  I thought at first perhaps it had to do with eating.  Now I get it when not eating .  The pain goes from under my breast bone to my gut. It's not gas . It's an aching feel, but so fierce that I have to lay down for 20 - 30 minutes. Then it goes away.  I saw the doctor about it this week and have a follow up in 2 weeks.  Have any of you experienced this type of pain ?   Oh, and I just hit my 6 month post RNY, down 115 since WLS !    

Mimisocks
on 1/24/14 1:59 pm - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

Did your PCP rule out gallbladder issues? I had a similar feeling at 3 months out and my surgeon ordered an ultrasound because of the location of the pain.  I had to go on a cycle of Prilosec which did help.

I was told WLS patients are prone to gallstones because of our high protein diets.     The problem is to catch the stones before they travel to the bile ducts, which can be troublesome to scope due to our rearranged anatomy.

Don't suffer in pain for 2 more weeks!  Contact your physician and let them know the severity and what steps you are still doing for relief.

All the best to you!

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

sarah_durso
on 1/24/14 2:06 pm

Fortunately I had my gallbladder removed about 10 yrs ago . So that's ruled out. 

sarah_durso
on 1/24/14 2:08 pm

I do have a bottle of Prilosec they prescribed just after surgery.  I'll take one for the next few days and see if that helps. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/24/14 2:45 pm - OH

It could be an ulcer.  If the pain was sharp, I would say that it might be related to adhesions (scar tissue), but when I had mine and when I have talked to other people who had similar problems, the pain has always been described as "sharp" or "stabbing" rather than "aching".  It is still a possibility, though.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to diagnose without surgery, however, and some surgeons won't do another surgery to fix adhesions because the process of doing another surgery, as well as the scar tissue that forms where they have removed the old adhesions, can create even MORE adhesions that may cause more severe issues than before.

I hope they can find the problem quickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Missella20
on 1/24/14 9:07 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

I have had that similar pain and I have been on Prilosec since surgery. I tried to stop taking Prilosec at my 3 month out mark but the pain came back so I am taking it again. The doc said it could be the beginning of an ulcer or an irritation.  Hope it gets better for you!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

CJ S.
on 1/25/14 8:34 am
VSG on 01/09/14

I'm only two weeks out, but I've read about people having these pains with ulcers. I wouldn't wait two weeks either - you can go to your PCP on base or contact your surgeon. Did they do an upper GI prior to your RNY? If the Prilosec has helped, let your surgeon know and your PCP and maybe they can do something to rule out an ulcer.

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You've done an amazing job getting the weight off! You look terrific and I'm so happy for you!! I just hope you start feeling better soon.

CJ Smith

“To all the girls that think you’re fat because you’re not a size zero, you’re the beautiful one, its society who’s ugly.”
Marilyn Monroe

A Q.
on 1/26/14 6:34 am - Houston, TX

Please get this checked out. I have been having similar pains. Last Sunday after running around all day, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Started as a dull stomach ache in the same area you described. Within an hour the pain was enough to send me to the er.  I had a twisted intestine and hernia. I had to have emergency surgery to close the hernia and luckily it didn't cut off or damage my intestine.  It could have killed me, obstructions can be fatal. The doctor said my intestines were twisted up pretty bad and it took him a lot of time to get it out of the way to close off the hernia.  I was also lucky that my er has a resident bariatric surgeon on staff.  We waited to have him to read my results because our bodies are so different now.  

I had ignored the dull ache and bloating for several months. I had started to get constipated too but never put two and two together. Well it was certainly a wake up call. I had my gastric bypass 7 years ago and tummy tuck 6 years ago so it's not closely related but somewhat related in that my insides are wired differently. 

Get er it checked out ASAP.  

"What you make happen for others, God will make happen for you."

RNY - 12/8/06 ; WT 233.6 ; Goal WT 130 ; Height 5'2
Tummy tuck - 9/24/07;  breast lift/reduction October 2012

Angela in Houston

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 6 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?