drinking water

browneyes65
on 1/24/14 3:00 am - IN

can I drink water after my protein drink or taking my vitamins, I don't have to wait.

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 3:04 am - OH

Yes, you can.  The reason for not drinking right after meals is because it washes food out of your pouch so you get hungry fast.  But liquids, including your protein drink, don't stay in your pouch anyway, so you can drink liquids after drinking something.  And unless you're relying on your vitamins to keep you full, it's OK to wash those out of your pouch, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

QoftheU
on 1/24/14 4:06 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Hey Kelly - at my support meeting the other day the discussion of swallowing vitamins came up and they said do NOT wash them out of your pouch because they need to break down first prior to passing into your intestines in order to absorb the nutrients.  So now I'm confused.  

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 4:29 am - OH

That actually makes a little sense.  We absorb the in our intestine, but yeah, they have to break down first.  If you swallow them with liquid, though, the are probably getting washed out of your pouch.  Do they recommend only chewable vitamins are your support group?

My guess is that for most people, they will break down well enough in the intestine.  Since I know a lot of post ops that use vitamins they swallow and that drink with them/after them, it seems if we weren't breaking them down, our labs would be really bad.  But my labs indicate I am absorbing my vitamins.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsLitch
on 1/24/14 7:55 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

each plan is different, my doctor says no water for 30 minutes after a protein shake. *shrug* it's one of those things that didn't make a lot of sense to me since I make it with water so I didn't follow that rule but you may hear from both sides of the fence on this one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Cassiodals
on 1/24/14 8:15 am

We have been instructed to buy chewable vitamin.  There r two brands available.  We chew two in am and two in pm. These are bariactic vitamins.  Cover everything.  Guess we will be taking them forever.

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 10:05 am - OH

There are far more than two brands of chewable vitamins.  I'm guessing you're talking about Optisource and Bariatric Fusion, though.  Just FYI, to meet the guidelines of the ASMBS, you'd need to take eight of those a day plus B12 in a sublingual, nasal spray or shots.

browneyes65
on 1/24/14 10:08 am - IN

which bariatric vitamins do you take that cover everything ?

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 10:15 am - OH

There aren't any.  There are a number of brands that claim that they cover everything but if you compare their labels to what the ASMBS says we need, you will see that they do not.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 316 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 297 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics