update

marissasmith1987
on 1/18/14 12:14 am - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

So I had surgery Monday the 13th. its been hard for me since day 1. After surgery i was put on oxygen i couldn't do it myself. I ended up staying on oxygen fir 3 days. My blood sugar was high even though I could barley getting anything in. i didn't sleep much. and when i finally got home i get a huge bruised on my left side of my abdomen. i tried drinking  drink a premier protein drink . Nope I through up i am still having problems getting enough fluid in, i see the surgeon the 23 maybe he will give me medication for nauseous. I'm just upset how little I COULD GET LIQUID DOWN. 

- Marissa RYN 1-13-14. If the past was perfect then there would be no need for tomorrow

Heather D.
on 1/18/14 12:25 am

Itty bitty sips. Try different shakes to find one you like. Just because it worked and tasted good before surgery doesn't mean it will now. Change up your water temps. Make a warm tea or chicken broth. Try room temp. Try ice water. See what works. Each person is different. 

I'm 9 weeks out on Monday and I still struggle to get my fluids in. Even reaching half the requirements was hard those first few weeks. 

jimjayhawk
on 1/18/14 12:35 am
RNY on 02/10/13

Don't wait until Dr. appts. to call and let them know of your miseries... the nausea is an EASY fix..,. As for the rest of it... all I can say is it will get better. I had strictures and basically did the liquid diet for 8 weeks... nothing fun about it, but now that I am 11 months out, I have no regrets and would be able to cope with the notion of 2x as many complications for 2x as long given where I am today. 

Hang in there... but don't be a hero - CALL YOUR DR! 

poet_kelly
on 1/18/14 1:02 am - OH

Today is the 18th.  I would not wait until the 23rd to ask for something for nausea if you're so nauseous you can't get much fluid in.  Why not call today and ask them to phone in a script for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

danslillady
on 1/18/14 3:34 am

It takes a while to get used to fluids. You'll get there. The bruise on your abdomen is probably from the heparin shot. I had two huge bruises and it took almost 7 weeks for it to fade!

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

PetHairMagnet
on 1/18/14 7:17 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM Pacific Time, marissasmith1987 wrote:

So I had surgery Monday the 13th. its been hard for me since day 1. After surgery i was put on oxygen i couldn't do it myself. I ended up staying on oxygen fir 3 days. My blood sugar was high even though I could barley getting anything in. i didn't sleep much. and when i finally got home i get a huge bruised on my left side of my abdomen. i tried drinking  drink a premier protein drink . Nope I through up i am still having problems getting enough fluid in, i see the surgeon the 23 maybe he will give me medication for nauseous. I'm just upset how little I COULD GET LIQUID DOWN. 

I would call and get an anti-nausea med script sent to your pharmacy TODAY. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

SteveWebb
on 1/19/14 6:57 am - NC

Call the Surgeon and tell them to call you something in.  I'll say a prayer for you Marissa, hope you feel better soon.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

scoobyluvr1
on 1/19/14 9:38 am
RNY on 10/21/13

Don't wait sweetie, give them a call and let them know what's going on.  I hope you are feeling better soon. Hang in there!

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

chulbert
on 1/19/14 10:10 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I agree with everyone else - don't wait on the nausea medicine prescription.  I was fortunate that my surgeon sent me home with some.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 349 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 158 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?