surgery monday the 13

marissasmith1987
on 1/11/14 3:57 am - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

So surgery is Monday at 730 am i have to be there at 545 i wonder why so early. I am getting nervous but excited about my new stomach/ life. i gained 6 pounds since about a month ago im upset at myself but I'm back on track to losing weight.  Going to start walking on my tread mill again. After you got home from the hospital how long till you started walking again and how long did you walk for? I START MY 14 day CLEAR LIQUID diet tomorrow . I am not looking foward to it. I need to make dr apts with my pcp and endo drs so they can write the new prescriptions for me. What medications did you have to start after surgery? 

- Marissa RYN 1-13-14. If the past was perfect then there would be no need for tomorrow

poet_kelly
on 1/11/14 4:04 am - OH

They want you to get there early because there is a lot of stuff they need to do to get you ready for surgery.  They'll have you change into a hospital gown.  They usually ask for a urine sample to do a pregnancy test to make sure you aren't pregnant.  They will start an IV, take all your vital signs, ask you a bunch of questions.  The anesthesiologist that is going to be in the OR with you will come and ask you some questions, as well, to make sure you aren't allergic to any meds and stuff like that.  Your surgeon will also come talk to you before you go into the OR.  They will give you medication in your IV to help prevent nausea and they might also give you something to relax you.  If you're really anxious, you can ask for something to help you relax.

You will start walking in the hospital.  When you get home, you should walk several times a day.  It can be a really short walk, five or ten minutes is great to start.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/11/14 4:23 am

HI!  For my meds-all were taken away during the clear liquid phase. The endo does not want me on metformin while calories and carbs are so low. It is awesome.

As far as the earliness, you do things like get weighed, the triple check to make sure you didnt have anything to eat, you meet the surgeon who will confirm the procedure you are having (so they dont do the wrong one..which is their nightmare), meet the OR nurses, the nurse anesthicologist (sp..the nurse that monitors your breathing and heart rate after you have been knocked out), and you meet the anesthetiologist MD.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 1/11/14 4:25 am

PS...the relaxing stuff is wild. It feels like you had a bottle of wine but it hits you ALL. AT.ONCE.

Kind of fun.

dawnpsmith
on 1/11/14 10:04 pm

Agree with PS.  Had my surgery this past Wednesday. The "relax" stuff caused me to have almost no memory from the pre-op area all the way to my regular hospital room! Only remember moving from stretcher cart  to operating table...NOTHING else!

SkinnyScientist
on 1/12/14 5:28 am

Yes!  Have you had any other memory troubles from that time. For example, I reset all my passwords two days before I went to surgery...I cant remember a single one now.  Or I cleaned before surgery and cant remember the new improved spot for the stuff I put away.

I can remember weeks before the surgery well, but the time immediately around it, is just not in the memory banks.

Well, what is lost will eventually be found as I dig around somemore!

Tee hee!

marissasmith1987
on 1/11/14 4:39 am - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

when i went for the endoscopy they gave me something to relax i think it was Valium it was awesome. i could use some now. I am already off Metformin and the surgeon dose not want me on Metformin because he doesn't know how well it would be absorbed. So i will be started on short acting insulin in the hospital. I hope i can stay on my insulin pump. It's easier then taking shots every day. 5-10 mins every day isn't bad I'll probably will walk slow because of the pain. how did you sleep after surgery? I got a recliner I think that is where I am going to be sleeping after surgery.

- Marissa RYN 1-13-14. If the past was perfect then there would be no need for tomorrow

dawnpsmith
on 1/11/14 10:07 pm

I have been sleeping in my recliner - works out fine. May try regular bed tonight - it will be the fifth night.

gtrdyfor50
on 1/11/14 6:37 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Good Luck!

Amymay2
on 1/11/14 9:05 pm

Congrats  and good luck I know this is exciting time and scary time because of the surgery date is tomorrow, I know it easy to say calm down but we have all been in your shoes it mixed emotions, excited to be on you new journey and weight loss but scary because this is surgery, try to stay positive keep yourself busy, talk about how your feeling with someone who supports you decision on the surgery today they will help calm you down. The doctors will likely put you on a stomach pill, pain pills, anti sick meds and the of course liquid or chewable vitamins after surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 288 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views