Steroids...

snowball24life
on 1/5/14 9:59 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

Ok, I know this Holiday Season has been a bit difficult for me, and I will take accountability and state that even though I was not consuming  more than 1000 calories a day (I log everything on My Fitness Pal), there were times I slipped and ate things I shouldn't have. I am now happy to say I am back on track. 

With that being said, I have a question for the Vet's... I have been receiving spinal injections (set of 3) within the past 3 weeks for my Spinal Stenosis and Herniated Disks. My sugar levels right after the injections usually goes up, which my Doctor said is normal from the steroid's. I also know steroids have caused people to gain weight. I have gained 4 pound's within these past 3 weeks. I can assume that the "splurging" caused the 4 pound Weight gain, but I do wonder if the steroids are playing a role as well... Now that I am back on track, I hope to lose those 4 pounds, as well as continue on with my weight loss...

However, if the steroid's do cause weight gain, I might have to figure something else out as I cannot afford to gain again... I am open to any and all thoughts. Thanks! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/14 10:04 am - OH

I have never heard of steroid injections causing weight gain... just the oral steroids. I spent the last 4 years of my 6 years post-op having steroid injections in both knees every 3-4 months like clockwork (severe arthritis) and it hasn't increased my weight at all.

I would attribute teh gain to the holiday splurging and/or water weight before I would attribute it to the steroid injections.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

snowball24life
on 1/5/14 10:18 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

Ok! Thank you! (I figured it was the splurging and possibly water weight as I just finished my menses) I have a cousin *****ceived them as well, and gained 80 pounds during the course of her treatment, which her Dr attributed to the steroid injections. So that is why I was a bit worried... (As well as the fact that it affected my sugar levels). This just proves to me how strict I truly need to be... It is VERY easy to gain weight! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/14 1:31 pm - OH

Just wondering... Did your cousin take very frequent injections?  

Even so, 80 pounds is a lot of weight to gain JUST from steroids (even oral ones).

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

snowball24life
on 1/5/14 8:08 pm - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes she did... And I agree that is a lot to gain from them. She gained that over the year she had been getting them. I guess her Doctor told her it was because of the shots. So it frightened me! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 4 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views