Rutabaga Update-NYE

Kim S.
on 1/1/14 10:36 pm - Helena, AL

Tried roasting with Brussels sprouts.....VERY GOOD.  This is what I did:

washed and cut in 1/2 fresh Brussels sprouts

Peeled and cubed rutabaga

In a large bowl, tossed the Brussels and rutabaga with olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, low sodium soy sauce and sesame seeds

spread on a baking sheet and baked in 450 degree oven until browning.....(not sure how long because I was also drinking a martini so I just kept an eye on it!!)

Very delicious, will definitely have this again.

cajungirl
on 1/2/14 2:38 am

I may have to try this, I've never had rutabaga either.  The only recipes I've ever seen with it used was pies with strawberries and rutabaga.  I think it's more of a northern thing than southern.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Kim S.
on 1/2/14 3:23 am - Helena, AL

I think maybe you are thinking of rhubarb?  Whi*****identally is also a Northern thing (I believe) (my aunt Jo (from Wisconsin) made rhubarb pies every year)

A rutabaga is a large root-think turnip on steroids- and the "flesh" is light yellow in color, the texture similar to a potato, and the flavor very much like cabbage/cauliflower--I was very surprised at how good it is, and that I had never tried it.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!  Now I'm going to scour the veggie department and see what else I've been missing!

cajungirl
on 1/2/14 4:36 am

Haha yes you are right.  I've never tried either and hey they both start with an "R", just joking.  I will see if I can find them locally as I'm always up to trying new foods.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

PetHairMagnet
on 1/2/14 9:38 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM Pacific Time, Kim S. wrote:

I think maybe you are thinking of rhubarb?  Whi*****identally is also a Northern thing (I believe) (my aunt Jo (from Wisconsin) made rhubarb pies every year)

A rutabaga is a large root-think turnip on steroids- and the "flesh" is light yellow in color, the texture similar to a potato, and the flavor very much like cabbage/cauliflower--I was very surprised at how good it is, and that I had never tried it.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!  Now I'm going to scour the veggie department and see what else I've been missing!

HOOOO boy, do I love rhubarb and berries!! 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

PetHairMagnet
on 1/2/14 9:37 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 2, 2014 at 6:36 AM Pacific Time, Kim S. wrote:

Tried roasting with Brussels sprouts.....VERY GOOD.  This is what I did:

washed and cut in 1/2 fresh Brussels sprouts

Peeled and cubed rutabaga

In a large bowl, tossed the Brussels and rutabaga with olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, low sodium soy sauce and sesame seeds

spread on a baking sheet and baked in 450 degree oven until browning.....(not sure how long because I was also drinking a martini so I just kept an eye on it!!)

Very delicious, will definitely have this again.

I grew up eating Brussels sprouts, parsnips, rutabagas and turnips. Love them!! Glad you enjoy them as well!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views