Anxiety

Coder
on 12/23/13 11:57 am - PA
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm 1 week postop and having some anxiety issues. Is it ok to take my Xanax ?  If so can I just cut it in half or must it be crushed. It is a very small pill. 

poet_kelly
on 12/23/13 11:59 am - OH

I don't know why it wouldn't be OK but if you're not sure, you should probably call your doc and ask.  I don't know why you'd need to cru**** either, unless you have a hard time swallowing pills.  Isn't xanax a pretty small pill?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/23/13 12:07 pm - OH

Xanax is pretty small, so even cutting it in half shouldn't be necessary (let alone crushing it)... Unless your surgeon is one who insists that all meds be crushed.  Many people take pills significantly larger than that the day after surgery.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Coder
on 12/23/13 12:10 pm - PA
RNY on 12/18/13

Thank you so much. I knew you would know. Merry Christmas  

QoftheU
on 12/23/13 2:46 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
My doc specifically told me I can take them if needed... Amazingly I haven't needed them. Anxiety is a real bugga-boo... I understand... You are not alone!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Coder
on 12/23/13 6:24 pm - PA
RNY on 12/18/13

My surgery was December 18 also.

QoftheU
on 12/24/13 1:06 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
How are you doing? I still have gnarly left shoulder and left side pain... hiccuping and coughing (and laughing!) are miserable! Other than those, I'm doing just fine! Oh, and I have a drain - ugh. Don't get it removed until next Monday. It's driving me nuts!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Dukemom
on 12/23/13 8:58 pm
RNY on 12/17/13

My pharmacologist said to crush all my pills (which were crushable).  I take Xanax also and it was on my crush list.  (I was told to crush or take another form of all pills for 1 year.)

Karen

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

poet_kelly
on 12/23/13 9:17 pm - OH

Why would you need to crush all pills for a year?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dukemom
on 12/23/13 10:31 pm
RNY on 12/17/13

My surgery was done at Mayo in Jacksonville.  They have a bariatric team:  psychiatrist, registered dietician, medical bariatric MD, pharmacologist, and bariatric surgeon.  The surgeon defers to the pharmacologist and dietician when it comes to meds and what, how and when things are ingested.

I have found that Mayo is very conservative in their program.  It's fine with me.  I chose to go there, and fully intend to follow their instructions.

Karen

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 366 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 237 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 138 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?