Long time since I've been on the site and/or posted

JanBooth
on 12/14/13 12:11 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Go****'s been forever since I've been on the site/forum, read posts, and posted.  Lots has happened in life. 
I've been working as a nurse, on a rehab unit that also has a few long term care patients. I started at 8 hour shifts (most running into 10-12 hour days) 5 days a week, then changed to 3 days of 12 hour shifts (often running into 14 hour days).  I cannot, and will not, cut corners in healthcare.  I know many nurses who do, and because of those nurses, the managers don't understand those of us who can't finish on time.    So, to continue being able to pay my bills and not have to start over at a new facility, I've asked to be transferred to night shift.  We'll see how this goes...12 hour shifts, nights. 
I've had a few health issues, also.  My liver and pancreatic enzymes have been elevated.  In the past, I was taken off of Lipitor, that seemed to help with the enzymes.  But, since then, they have gone back up.  My pancreatic enzymes are nearly 5 times the high normal level.  I've had SO many tests done to rule out nearly everything that could happen to one's liver and pancreas, but nothing is evident.  In searching for an answer, I was found to have a small ulcer.  I'm on Carafate and the only two things that I enjoy in life have been taken away from me !!!  My one cup of regular coffee and Tabasco sauce! 
I LOVE my caffeine and hot sauce, but can't have any now.  Decaf coffee is ok, but I really miss that ummppff that I got from the little bit of caffeine.  And since my RNY, I've developed an unsual love of hot sauce...really hot!  The hotter the wings, the better.  I was even adding a few shakes of hot sauce in my chicken broth and protein beef soup.  Everything is so bland now. 
My blood sugars are running a bit high again. I'm thinking it's probably the pancreas issue, but my PCP doesn't seem to be so concerned?  I am, though.  I don't want any damage to my organs because of unaddressed high blood sugars.  So, I'm thinking about seeing an Endocrinologist for a second opinion. 
I'm also having joint pain again.  I had joint pain EVERYWHERE before my RNY, but it went away right after surgery.  Now, I'm feeling it in my left hip, my neck, right shoulder and elbow, and my knees from time to time.  I hate that it's back.  I used to take Motrin to kick it, but now I'm taking Tylenol and it's not the same.  It's so uncomfortable that I can't seem to tolerate the gym anymore. 
I was having such fun in life.  My daughter and I went to a rollercoaster park, water slide park, hiking at a gorgeous state park, horse back riding, dancing all night at a wedding reception, several visits to our zoo, and just all sorts of fun things!  I want to enjoy more.  Painfree! 
While I was waiting for results for some of the tests (pancreatic cancer, Hepatitis, and some other scary tests) I started to go back to some of my old eating habits.  I found myself eating several "snacks" at night, in bed, while watching TV.  I was so scared that I was not going to be able to stop!  So, I scheduled appointments with my counselor and NUT.  It was helpful to talk with them. I think I'm ok, but honestly, I see how easy it is to fall right back into those old habits.  I was also surprised to find that, not only did I NOT gain any weight during that time, but I lost?  I did choose mostly protein foods, but still, I was eating way too much.
I have 33 pounds to go to reach my goal and it really feels good to be so close, but at the same time, it's always in the back of my mind that I will gain it back.  Is this normal?  To always have that thought? 

Janet
Guess that's it for the update. 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Mycherie0000
on 12/14/13 12:28 pm

I hope everything works out fine. Merry Christmas.

MrsLitch
on 12/14/13 12:59 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Jan so good to see you again!! I'm so sorry you are going through these medical issues and I'll send up a prayer and swing a chicken that you get results and they are an easy fix.

I understand about the joint pain and my ortho said he sees a lot of WLS patients in the first couple of years. He explained that the change in weight changes how we hold ourselves etc and often cause pain. I had to get shots in my hips, helped for awhile but I think I'm going to have to go in for another one. Have you talked to an ortho about the joint pain? If he can't help see if you can't get some relief that is safe for you that helps better than tylenol.

I'm glad you saw your habits quickly and got them under control. For some I'm sure the thought is always there. With work from my therapist it's not in my head. I'm very much the "never again" person. Do what works for you and check in with the counselor more or come here for support.

I left the boards for a little bit but came back because I feel these forums are a good place for support and to try to help like those who helped me, it also keeps things in the front of my mind which helps.

Wishing you well! Merry Christmas!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

MyLady Heidi
on 12/14/13 3:07 pm

Sorry about the pain, I live with unrelenting arthritis pain so I totally get it, the only time I don't feel pain is in the summer when it is really hot and I can float around in my pool otherwise it is endless.  I take nothing for it because nothing I can take helps and I refuse to become dependent on meds.  

As for eating and losing, it really is a calorie thing, if you want to eat in bed you have to give up something else. When I am at work I don't eat but y job is not physically demanding so I can.  To me if I start eating I have to keep eating all day so I don't.  I eat dinner and two snacks at night, typically one in bed.  But I only eat 1000 calories a day during the week and typically two meals on the weekend.  You have to ind the mix that is right for you.

And to address the pancreas issue, did you have your gb out? I did and ten years later had excruciating pain and my pancreas numbers were through the roof because a left behind stone from years earlier was blocking my bile duct.   Once it cleared my numbers returned to normal.

Good luck.

JanBooth
on 12/19/13 9:42 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I've not really been logging my foods, measuring, or counting calories.  So, the old habits are creeping back into my life.  My goal is to get back to the basics...I don't want to be one of those people who have surgery, lose, and regain all and/or more than lost.  
The enzymes are still high, and the doctors don't know why.  I have had my gallbladder out, but the scans and ultrasounds that I've had don't show any stones or "sludge" in my bile ducts.  That's what I thought it might be.  I've had ALL SORTS of tests done...every liver and pancreatic tests that one can have.  I will be paying for these tests for the rest of my life!  :(  I'm just thankful it's not some sort of cancer.  After having thyroid cancer, that's the first thing that comes to mind when something's out of whack. 
We'll see.  As long as I don't have excruciating pain, the doctors aren't really worried. 
Thank you so much! 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Patm
on 12/14/13 10:48 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am sorry you are having these health issues. I hope they find out what is wrong soon. I just wanted to mention that at 23 months out I continuously worry about regain. Everytime I have something i consider wrong I worry. I think we have to just learn to live with it

JanBooth
on 12/19/13 9:45 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I've seen several women who have regained all, and often more, weight that they've lost after surgery.  It scares me.  I just need to be more in control of my reaction to those feelings? 

Thank you! 

NDHM
on 12/15/13 11:37 am

So glad to hear from you....I was just thinking of you the other day.  I will pray that whatever is going on with you will work itself out.  Also, I used to work 12 hour night shifts at our local hospital & it was my favorite.  Hopefully it will turn out to be a blessing for you!!

JanBooth
on 12/19/13 9:49 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Thank you! 
I think night shift will be the best for me.  I will be able to have regular meals, take all my vitamins, and a bit more "peace" in life.  I'm sure some nights will be crazy busy, but ALL days are.  It's just too much.  I feel like Danny Glover in "Lethal Weapon" where he keeps saying, "I'm too old for this!"  I'm too old for day shift! 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 111 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?