Vitamins

jamienichols22
on 11/24/13 9:00 am - MI

How long after surgery is it before we can swallow pill forms? 

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

poet_kelly
on 11/24/13 9:09 am - OH

It varies from person to person.  The ASMBS says it's OK to take vitamins in pill form as soon as you can tolerate swallowing pills. I was swallowing pills about 12 hours after my surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jamienichols22
on 11/24/13 9:12 am - MI
Okay thank you. I was just asking because I have enough chewable vitamins to do me the first month but Dr office is saying I need to buy three months worth of chewable from them.

Jamie Nichols

poet_kelly
on 11/24/13 9:24 am - OH

Even if you needed chewables for three months (which the ASMBS says you don't), why would you need to buy them from your doctor's office?  They are just trying to get more money from you which I think is really unethical.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/24/13 9:34 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

Even if you needed chewables for three months (which the ASMBS says you don't), why would you need to buy them from your doctor's office?  They are just trying to get more money from you which I think is really unethical.

100% agree!

I think it is SO wrong to be required to buy ANYTHING from the surgeon other than their time/skill for your actual surgery. 

I am VERY glad that mine does not sell anything and gives a lot of options of where to buy. 

One thing I have experienced, the calcium citrate are so large they still fill me up at 6 months out. I alternate chewables for those and was 100% chewable on them until a month ago (or so). Everything else I can swallow without issue. But 8 of those large pills was filling me up and making getting actual food in difficult. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jamienichols22
on 11/24/13 9:27 am - MI
That is exactly what I thought when she told me. I think I will use the ones I got and then see how pill forms go :)

Jamie Nichols

Ehbeagle
on 11/24/13 9:30 am - Virginia beach, VA

I don't know about your office but my doc office sells BA vits and the price is the same as what I would pay online.  It's just more convenient to purchase them in the store at the docs office .

poet_kelly
on 11/24/13 9:36 am - OH

It might be more convenient if that is the brand you want to use.  Some people prefer other brands, though.

I see a big difference between a doctor offering some vitamins for sale and a doctor trying to insist you buy vitamins from them, even if you prefer another brand that meets the ASMBS guidelines or can get the same brand cheaper elsewhere.

Ehbeagle
on 11/24/13 9:45 am - Virginia beach, VA

ABSOLUTELY!  No one she be "forced" to buy anything.  I was just suggesting that just because the doc office provides the vitamins they RECOMMEND does not mean they are overcharging for them.  

jamienichols22
on 11/25/13 5:36 am - MI

I advised them that I would not be purchasing my vitamins from them but I did show them the site where I would purchase them from and they were "okay" with that. I just told them that there was not way that I could afford to get them through the office since I am on disability and have to support three people!! The surgeon said as long as it was BA and I advised him that there was other brands that were comparable to BA that was just as good and as long as they have the same label and percentages then I didn't see why it should matter. He told me that I was very knowledgeable and that it wouldn't make a difference as long as they had the same content!! REALLY just because I can research this I can get different ones but people who have to idea get stuck being shafted??? I really didn't like this

Jamie Nichols

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views