Sugar issues

jamienichols22
on 11/17/13 6:03 am - MI

As most of you know I have been putting in place healthy eating and changing my lifestyle before my surgery and well I have been noticing that since I have cut my sugar way down I get to feeling really bad and have to eat something quick to get me back to my normal feel. Has anyone else experienced anything like this while making a lifestyle change of healthy eating and working out 

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

scoobyluvr1
on 11/17/13 6:42 am
RNY on 10/21/13
Jaime are diabetic or any meds for it? Just asking because dosages may need updated.

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

jamienichols22
on 11/17/13 7:08 am - MI
No I am not diabetic and never have been. This is just the oddest feeling because I do it a couple times of day now

Jamie Nichols

scoobyluvr1
on 11/17/13 7:15 am
RNY on 10/21/13
Hmm that is odd but maybe your body has to adjust to the changes. Hopefully someone else has experienced this and can be of more help. But i say it couldnt hurt to discuss with your pcp. Do you have access to a meter? It could be helpful to check your levels especially when it occurs.

~Ronda~  

jamienichols22
on 11/17/13 7:18 am - MI
Yes I do have access to a meter and I think I will start checking to see where it goes when it happens. Thank you. How are you doing?

Jamie Nichols

scoobyluvr1
on 11/17/13 7:31 am
RNY on 10/21/13
Oh thats good! Check when your feeling good and when your feeling the drop so you can compare and share the results with the doc that should help. Im doing good, back to work things getting back to normal. Thanks for asking.

~Ronda~  

PetHairMagnet
on 11/17/13 7:25 am
RNY on 05/13/13

You might want to buy a blood glucose test device (you can get them OTC) and track your sugars for a few weeks and then go see your PCP.  It is possible that you are in need of moderating certain foods. Reducing sugar isn't as easy as 'sugar' it means all the simple carbs you are eating. When my Type 1 son was diagnosed, I learned a LOT about what impacts blood sugar and it was so surprising to me that a potato was about the worst thing he could put in his mouth (for him, I am not talking the whole world) and even 'whole wheat' bread was going to set him off unless it was effectively bird seed (which he nows LOVES, but it was hard to get a young child to enjoy) due to the way his body processed it. You may, in eating healthier, be exchanging one item for another that is causing you to have swings in your blood glucose levels and by tracking it religiously, you can see what your triggers are and work with your nutritionist to devise a plan that will stabilize your sugars.

HTH!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jamienichols22
on 11/17/13 7:31 am - MI
Thank you. My dad has been a severe diabetic for 26 years and he sent me a meter when I told him about what was going on. I stay away from rice, pasta, potatoes and even bread really because I can't control my portions with them. I was a die hard pasta eater lol. I have an appointment in two weeks with my pcp and I am going to start tracking my sugar like I do my food and show her what is going on.

Jamie Nichols

smittyjen
on 11/17/13 8:50 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Yes....this has happened to me....I think our bodies got used to the higher readings that now, the body is really confused!  My NUT told me more protein and if I feel low, test with my meter and if its an actual low, drink 4oz of diluted juice or milk.  I think it just takes time to straighten out insulin issues, particularly if you were a big time carb addict, like myself!

MissK123456789
on 11/17/13 11:12 am - PA

Hello Jamie!

I had my RNY in July 2012.  I have been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia.  Please, check your sugar and log it for your PCP.  Mine dropped as low as 45.  From what I've read, anything in the 50's or lower can give you seizures!  If you continue to have low blood sugar, you may want to see an endocrinologist.  This is not a pleasant diagnoses.  Best of luck to you!

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views