Sugar Sub / Vits

Coder
on 11/17/13 2:03 am - PA
RNY on 12/18/13

Good morning.

I need some recommendations for a sugar substitute.  What do you use?  I also want to know when I should take my Protonix with my Bariatric Vits, I've been told I can't take it with my calcium.  Is that true?

SkinnyScientist
on 11/17/13 2:21 am

First i will start with : 1) I havent had my surgery yet. Also, I have received no info on sugar substitutes from my NUT (other than we should use them).

From doing ATkins and PCOS type diets (i.e. low carb with low glycemic index), I like using blue agave nectar. It is a liquid syrup.  It has a mellow sweet taste on the tongue. It doesnt have the edgy sweet taste of sugar. It doesnt taste chemically sweet (like a lot of the subs).

So I like that one from personal tastes.

I think stevia, truvia, aspartame, and splenda are the grossest tasting things made by God and/or man. I would rather have nothing than eat those.

But these are my tastes.

Use only small amounts of blue agave when adding it to something. One can always add more.

L

PetHairMagnet
on 11/17/13 2:22 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM Pacific Time, Coder wrote:

Good morning.

I need some recommendations for a sugar substitute.  What do you use?  I also want to know when I should take my Protonix with my Bariatric Vits, I've been told I can't take it with my calcium.  Is that true?

I rarely sweeten, but if I do 1 tsp of sugar free coffee syrup (many flavors available) is my choice. I don't use stevia, Splenda or anything like that. Though I will drink crystal light. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

JLS_NJ
on 11/17/13 3:26 am
RNY on 10/15/13

I have truvia & stevia around the house.  I don't use it much.  I make great efforts to keep sugars low & natural. 

Other sweeteners have affected me in the past over long term use & I'm not going there again. 

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

LadyLilMax
on 11/17/13 4:13 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Personally, I use Splenda and love it and love sweet things but that is just me.  I do use torani and davinci sweetners or crystal light type things or even SF jello to sweeten my cottage cheese, protein shakes etc.

However, I cannot use truvia or stevia products without some sort of major upset.  Someone on here posted that they are part of the ragweed family.  I am allergic to ragweed.  Nuff said so I avoid those.  I never bothered to check it out so I don't know.

Agave stuff is good and I use SF maple syrup to sweeten stuff but again it has Splenda in it.  

I am an equal opportunity sweetener person, I  guess but Nay nay nay for me to the truvia/stevia stuff. 

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

Dee.spunk
on 11/17/13 5:47 am - Sacramento, CA
I use Splenda. It's sweet and I like the taste. Others I've tried leave a weird taste in my mouth.

In regards to the vitamins, if they have iron in them, you should space out your calcium at least two hours before or after. Iron is a tricky mineral and can't be taken with any sort of coffees or teas or calcium. They prevent the absorption of the iron.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/13 6:38 am

I use Splenda well Costco's generic for splenda. I haven't had any problem with them.I do try not to use it all the time. I do go out with my husband and friends on the weekend and I usually take the Crystal LIght packages and just order water.

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/13 6:38 am

I use Splenda well Costco's generic for splenda. I haven't had any problem with them.I do try not to use it all the time. I do go out with my husband and friends on the weekend and I usually take the Crystal LIght packages and just order water.

Candy V.
on 11/17/13 9:08 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I use equal packets in my coffee because that is what DH likes, and splenda if needed for cooking. 

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Sherrie P.
on 11/17/13 11:43 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I have not heard that you cannot take Protonix with Calcium.  You cannot take your iron and your calcium together -- that may be what you are thinking.

I do the following:

AM: 400 mg calcium, 5000 dry vitamin D, Protonix, sublingual B12

2 hours later (usually around 10am), 500 mg calcium

after lunch around 1pm 500 mg calcium

after dinner 500 mg calcium

Bedtime: 2 multivitamins w/iron, Zyrtec, stool softener

Oh, and I use Splenda. Truvia is nasty to me. I will use Equal in a pinch -- but I love Splenda!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 295 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views