Insurance Covering Vitamins.......

KatBee
on 11/8/13 9:01 pm

Has anyone been able to get their insurance to cover their iron or colace? If so how did you do it & what insurance company?

My Dr wrote me an rx for both but it was rejected by my insurance company & I thought I read that someone was able to get it covered

poet_kelly
on 11/8/13 9:15 pm - OH

Many insurance companies won't cover things that are available over the counter.  It depends on your insurance company.

Mine used to cover my B12.  They would not cover the syringes, but would cover the actual B12 to be injected.  Now they won't.  They no longer cover any vitamins.

However, they do cover my Miralax, which is something available both by prescription and over the counter.  Go figure.  Insurance companies are weird.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 11/8/13 9:20 pm - OH

By the way, what kind of iron was your doctor prescribing?  Docs often prescribe ferrous sulfate, but that's not the best kind of iron for us, anyway. 

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KatBee
on 11/8/13 9:39 pm

Kelly I think that is what he prescribed. What do you suggest?

poet_kelly
on 11/8/13 9:44 pm - OH

Carbonyl iron.  It's absorbed better in a low acid environment, like our pouch, and is much less likely to cause constipation or an upset stomach.

KatBee
on 11/9/13 3:06 am

Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 62 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?