OT---Traveling Tips

diane48
on 11/4/13 3:30 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Washington DC in a couple of weeks and was hoping for some tips.  We will be staying in a hotel with a little kitchen so that will help.  Should I just bring powdered protien drinks to make sure I get the protien in.  What is the best to take on the plane?  Cheese sticks, jerkey?  I know there will be a lot of walking and the hotel has a little gym so that shouldn't be a problem.

MickeyDee
on 11/4/13 3:40 pm

Yes, protein powder is a good thing;  you can usually get milk at the breakfast bar if your hotel has that.  I also use the Syntrax Nectars like the Lemon Tea or the Cappuccino which you can use with water.

On the plane, I usually took jerky, good protein bars, cashews, and bought a bottle of water after the TSA gate.  As long as the items are in their original wrappers, unopened, there usually isn't a problem

Sarahakers11
on 11/4/13 7:24 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I also took some protein on a recent trip.  I also stocked up on some quest bars from GNC.  I used those if we were out sight seeing or on the plane.  Where in DC? I leave in the surrounding area..perhaps I can give you some good tips on restaurants

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

PetHairMagnet
on 11/4/13 8:06 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I pre-measure my powders into snack size baggies so I don't have to carry the scoops and containers with me. I do my shakes 'barista style' and mix a blend of powders with various bases and (typically****  I carried a large cylinder style glass with me so my immersion blender could be used to mix up the shakes when I travel.  I also froze cheese sticks and carried them on the plane so they stayed cold on an extended flight.  Leaving cheese sticks in the freezer part so you can take a cold one with you each day is great!

I took Quest bars, cheese and a mini baggie of Syntrax Roadside Lemonade on the plane with me. Then I asked for a water on the plane, mixed the lemonade with a straw and voila...protein shake at 30,000 feet! :)

Laughing cow cheese does not need to be refrigerated except their cream cheese varieties, so you can carry a wedge or two of that with you to have with vegetables or an apple. 

I do not tolerate jerky AT ALL, so I have not traveled with that, but if you do, then I would take some with you!

Enjoy your trip!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

emmykins132000
on 11/4/13 9:29 pm
Hi, I always travel with nuts, protein bars, fruit, and protein shakes or powder. Also you could buy some Greek yogurt once you get to your hotel, it's super high in protein, double that of regular yogurt. There is a boxed protein drink sold at whole foods call Orgain, it's very high in protein and is easier than messing with powders when traveling, it does need to be refrigerated though. Have a great trip!

diane48
on 11/4/13 11:41 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

Thanks for all of the tips.  We will be staying in downtown not far from a Whole Foods so I will check out that protien drink.  Getting excited!

Heather2103
on 11/5/13 4:18 am - TN
RNY on 09/09/13

I just traveled for the first time since the surgery this weekend. We drive back to our hometown for visits. I packed a cooler, protein shakes, yogurt, string cheese, and water. We used to stop and get food while we drove. I didn't have an excuse since I had it all with me. Made it all easier on me.

KennyBruin
on 11/5/13 8:12 am - MD

I live in the DC area, too.  PM me if you have any questions or want any recommendations.  All I expect you in exchange for my bits of wisdom is to solve the gridlock in Congress while you are here.  Deal?

diane48
on 11/5/13 1:28 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

Would gladly clear up the gridlock!  If they haven't listened to you, I don't have much of a chance!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views