Question For Runners

ebtiger24
on 11/3/13 5:24 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
I have recently discovered I love to run. I am currently training to run a 5K. While a 5k is should not demand the carb fueling a half marathon or 10k would require I was wondering what food you use if any to fuel up? How do you approach race day nutritionally? Thanks!

Day_dream_believer
on 11/3/13 5:58 am

Honestly, I don't do anything different from normal.  When I am training for a 5k I will do one long run a week of around 6 or 7 miles.  I do a medium run of 4 miles once a week.  Every day before I work out I drink a protein shake mostly because it sits well with me.  Protein bars make me sick and most other food sits heavy.  (usually an hour or so before.  we won't go into detail of why I don't want to eat right before I run.  )  I make sure I have plenty of fluid before the run.  I find that is the biggest factor on how well I feel during the run.  Afterwards I might grab a banana or something, but I usually wan****er.  From speaking with trainers and reading I see no need to increase my calories when running less than a 10K

nfarris79
on 11/3/13 6:00 am - Germantown, MD

I wouldn't do much differently for a 5k. Perhaps focus on pre-hydration the day before, and if you're the type that can do breakfast before running, have an easily digestible one (e.g. greek yogurt or scrambled eggs). The running adage is NEVER do something on race day that you haven't already done during training (from what you wear, to what you eat or drink). 

For longer distances, I follow these running maxims with some modifications: 10 days before race day, increase fat proportionally to carbs & protein, while staying in normal caloric intake. 3 days before race day, increase the percentage of carbs. 24 hrs before race, easily digestible foods and hydrate. Very small dinner the night before. Either protein bar or greek yogurt for breakfast 3-4 hrs before running, coffee (to poo!), and no more liquids at least 2 hrs before running. Distances of 13 miles or more, I use either GU or GU chomps, but for shorter distances I don't bring mid-run fuel.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

bomoni727
on 11/3/13 7:58 am - MN

When the weather was nice, I was running a 5K every other day.  I routinely drink at least 3 to 4 33 oz. bottles of water every day.  I make sure to have adequate protein and not eat anything that's going to be heavy.  I can run a 5K and thought I never in my whole life would be able to do that.  During the summer, I was surprised to see that I could run a 5K every other day and for sure at least 3 times a week.   I did not significantly change my diet for a 5K but just made sure to be properly hydrated.  I did not eat before the run but did have a protein shake after I completed my run.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/3/13 9:08 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I was running a 5K every other day until my injury two weeks ago yesterday. I did nothing special for a 5K and I did NOT eat my calories burned, since it is pretty little for a 5K. 

Enjoy it!!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

billmacc7
on 11/3/13 11:23 am - MA

Hi...I too have fallen in love with running since having gastric bypass...In terms of nutrition for races, I have done 5k's, 10k's and even a 1/2 marathon and have not really altered anything in my diet..still, the previous posts have some great tips...Best of Luck on the training!!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

ebtiger24
on 11/3/13 10:54 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
Thanks for the responses. I didn't think I would need to worry too much about 5k.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics