Starting my Journey!

crys1216
on 10/30/13 1:05 am - Conway, SC

Hello all! I just wanted to say that you all have been a very big inspiration to me and my steps toward WLS!!  I'm excited and nervous at the same time.  What were some of your biggest fears before surgery or regrets after?  My biggest fear is that I won't be me anymore, (I mean I know I will change this choice is a lifestyle change).... Anyone else feel this way before surgery? 

poet_kelly
on 10/30/13 1:25 am - OH

Why wouldn't you be yourself after surgery?  What do you think will change, other than you'll get healthier?

I was not afraid of not being myself anymore, no.  I guess my biggest fear was that it would be really hard to stick to my post op diet.  I was imagining being "on a diet" for the rest of my life.  That's not the way it is, though.  I eat all kinds of good food, just mostly healthy stuff, and in small amounts.

I don't really have any regrets.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

crys1216
on 10/30/13 4:32 am - Conway, SC

Hi Poet Kelly! 

I don't know why I wouldn't be myself after surgery. I guess when you make a lifestyle change you are changing who you are. I have always been okay with being the "fat friend" in a group, I owned it! lol I guess I'm just going to have to except that I will change but for the better. As long as I don't get a "better than thou" type attitude I will be good! 

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/13 1:54 am

This website helped me a lot also.I am only two weeks out and I don't have any regrets.I have never felt better in my life. I have energy.I have lost about 20 lbs since the surgery and it makes a difference already.I don't feel as sore by the end of the day.Going up and down the stairs are not as hard as it  was before.I think one of my biggest fears was not being able to eat certain things anymore.But as I look back I won't be missing anything other than a stomach ache and wondering where I will stop if I have to go to the bathroom.One thing of advice is listen to your doctor..Another great thing is to be able to shop in any store and not have just one or two stores in the mall.One of my biggest things is I won't be watching my life go by and be a spectator. Best Wishes

Sarahakers11
on 10/30/13 2:22 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Coming up on 5 months.  No regrets yet..but still in the honey moon period.   I know most people say their biggest regret was not doing it earlier.  Not me though.  I am glad I spent so many years in counseling dealing with the emotional side of my weight. I  dont think I would have been able to deal with my emotions without the crutch of food otherwise.  I also started walking before surgery and that I think helped it be less of problem after.  I did have LOTS OF FEARS and almost backed out.  I have never really had any issues.  I little pain at first. I have never thrown up.  I handle most foods fine. I was back on m feed and doing great within 3 weeks and off work for 6 weeks (that's what disability covered)  

Good luck!  Keep us posted

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

selhard
on 10/30/13 2:26 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Biggest fear before?  dying at 400+ pounds  Regrets after? baffled/regretful when I make a poor food choice.  Feel like I won't be me? not even a tiny bit...feel more like a freed person held captive far too long.  

PetHairMagnet
on 10/30/13 2:50 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM Pacific Time, crys1216 wrote:

Hello all! I just wanted to say that you all have been a very big inspiration to me and my steps toward WLS!!  I'm excited and nervous at the same time.  What were some of your biggest fears before surgery or regrets after?  My biggest fear is that I won't be me anymore, (I mean I know I will change this choice is a lifestyle change).... Anyone else feel this way before surgery? 

I am not 100% the same me, but I am 110% a BETTER version of me.

I take care of myself and my health is my priority--not something I fit in after doing for others. I make sure I am eating right, drinking enough, exercising, being true to me with my choices and not joining in just to eat when pizza, cake, cookies or whatever come to me at work, church or events but because I want to participate in the networking that is happening during those times.

No nervousness here ever-I was too excited about the changes to let that creep in. I only regret not doing this 10 years ago, I can't believe I did not think I was 'fat enough' for WLS when I was over 300 lbs. It just did not click in my brain until I saw a picture of me that really showed how truly fat I had become, not the picture I had in my mind of how I looked.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 269 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 194 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics