This hurts!

walkingbear36
on 10/31/13 1:39 pm - Ferndale, MI
I had surgery on Monday and was released from the hospital today. When upright and walking I still have a lot of belly pain. When will this improve? The incisions look fine no sign of infection, just a lot of pain. Am I being a baby?

Catie780
on 10/31/13 1:56 pm
Aw no you're not a baby. It can hurt. You had major surgery not just incisions. Don't be afraid to take pain meds at home. Or at least 2 extra stregth Tylenol crushed into apple sauce.

Call the dr if that doesn't help.

KellyC210
on 10/31/13 2:00 pm - SC

You're not being a baby at all, it does hurt. Definitely take the pain meds as prescribed and stay on top of the pain. Walk as much as you can, I promise it will help. I am 2 1\2 weeks out and that is what worked for me.

Keep posting your progress, and good luck!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

Karen R.
on 10/31/13 4:57 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Nah.  You're not being a baby.  I was one of the lucky ones and was able to stop taking pain meds after the first day.  But everyone is different and some people have more discomfort than others.  It's major surgery, after all.  Take your meds and try and stay on top of the pain so you can rest.  You want to make sure and not get run down.

Take care.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Mary Catherine
on 10/31/13 5:31 pm

It might help if we could actually see all of the cutting, stitches, and staples.   When we wake up and only see a few tiny incisions, it seems like there should only be a tiny amount of pain.

Your insides are cut apart, rearranged, and sewed and stapled back together again.  Pain is normal now.  Pain  medication will help a lot.  Often the longer pain goes untreated, the more medicine it takes to get it back down.  Take your pain meds on schedule, avoid lifting and straining and give your body time to heal itself.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/31/13 9:51 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Did you have complications that kept you in the hospital more than one night? 

My worst pain was a few hours on day 4 and day 5, but it was just when I woke and for about 90-120 minutes and then again about 30 minutes after it subsided for another half hour or so. But otherwise, no issues. You might want to just take a pill, lay down or recline in a comfortable position and see what happens. 

I found walking really eased my pain but both those mornings I was walking like I'd been stabbed and was going for help, so rather than distress my neighbors, I chose meds and rest. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/13 10:21 pm

The gas they pump in you can be very painful.Get up and try to walk around.Even if it is short little walks.Take your pain meds if you need them.It is major surgery we had.I had a binder around my belly which I have never had before and it seemed to support my stomach.It felt a lot better.Feel better.You are allowed to call your doctors office.Since it is the weekend.I would call.

RNY on 10/21/13

No, you're NOT being a baby. Think about all of the muscles, nerves, and major organ (stomach) that were cut during your surgery.  I think the biggest trauma occurs when they cut through your abdominal muscles and separate then staple/suture your stomach to make the pouch. 

I had my surgery 11 days ago and I was just able to stand upright a few days ago. I immediately woke-up with left-sided pain, where they did 80% of the work, that was severe every time I moved or took a deep breath. The surgeon explained that was the site where they cut through my abdominal muscle and I had bleeding into the muscle that he said was "very excruciating." My pain could be described as burning, pulling, stabbing, and it has a tearing sensation - I think these are from the internal sutures in the muscle. I also have a lovely sizable dent in that location and still have considerable swelling in that area. 

It was a bit of a blow to me in the hospital because I had read how all these people were up moving around and doing all this walking. I was not able to do that and just walking in my room or getting out of bed into a chair was a major ordeal because of the pain; I was on a pain pump and I hit that sucker every 6 minutes when I could. Physical therapy ended up bringing me an abdominal binder and a walker, which  helped immensely!!!

So it's been 11 days now and the pain is gradually improving, but it's still there. I don't use the walker any longer and can stand up straight (slowly), but I am still taking pain meds throughout the day because Tylenol just does nothing for me. I do best when I wear the abdominal binder. Getting up/down is much better but damn, it is still not fun in the middle of the night trying to get out of bed or stand up from the toilet.

Am I envious of everyone *****ports they've had no pain, had to take no meds, and this has been a walk in the park? Absolutely!!! But I also know every person is unique and different and while our ultimate destination in the same, our journeys are all very different. 

Wishing you the very best and I hope your pain recedes quickly. 

PS - a heating pad applied to your abdomen for 20-30 minutes helps immensely!!!

LAP RNY 10.21.13  Pounds lost by month: 1: 34 2: 25 3: 16 4: 12 5: 7 6: 18 7: 10 8: 8 9:15 10:10 11: 10  12:  Total so far: 190! pounds

dinky2013
on 11/1/13 2:33 am

I also had my surgery this past Monday.  I was released from the hospital Tuesday evening.  I was a little apprehensive about going home so early, but was glad I did.  My stomach feels like somebody kicked hard several times, and my incisions hurt often when I twist or bend, I guess I because they're stretching a little.  The worst part was waking up in the morning, but fortunately I had my wife to help me out of bed.  

Already feeling much better today though, five days out.  I can get in and out of bed on my own and my incisions hurt less, though they still hurt.  You're not being a baby at all...I can be a whimp when it comes to pain and there's no doubt about it, this hurts.  I imagine though in a few more days we'll be doing much better.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 349 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 311 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 311 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 349 views