Nutritionist

walkingbear36
on 10/21/13 2:44 am - Ferndale, MI

one week from today i will have my surgery. will i be introduced to a nutritionist when i'm in the hospital? is it my responsibility to contact one afterwards? now? 

i read a lot on here about "your" Nutritionist, just curious as to whether the surgeon recommends one or i need to find one. i just sent an email off to the surgeons office and am waiting for a reply.

one more question...can i chew sugarfree gum now, during my pre-op diet, and anytime after surgery?

thanks everyone!

Mo Diggity
on 10/21/13 2:45 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

The dietician I see is within my surgeon's office.

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

The Salty Hag
on 10/21/13 2:51 am
RNY on 05/20/13
The dietician I saw is a part of my surgeon's practice as well. I got to know the dieticians well way before I was even cleared for surgery. ( they facilitated a lot of the pre-surgery support group meetings I attended. )
Hope you hear back quickly!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

kinny09
on 10/21/13 2:59 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Usually you meet with one before you surgery and it's a part of the pre-op process. They usually go over in detail the supplement and eating guidelines. I am surprised to hear they did not set you up with one already. I would be on the phone with my surgeon's office right now, it's not good to be in the dark pre-op about this stuff.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

PetHairMagnet
on 10/21/13 6:31 am
RNY on 05/13/13
You are going to surgery without having had ANY sessions with a nutritionist? I was required to meet with one monthly for 4 months and even self lay with my surgeon you have to do 3 appts over 90 days.

Who did your post op eating plan? Who helped you learn how to change what you ate, how you eat, etc?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 10/21/13 7:24 am - OH

You're having surgery in a week and have not met with a registered dietician yet?  Why not?  Most surgeons have nutritionists in their offices but I don't know if yours does or not.  I recommend a registered dietician, not a nutritionist, though, since a RD has a degree in nutrition and is licensed by the state, while nutritionists don't have to have any kind of degree or license.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Melanie C.
on 10/21/13 7:27 am

I am pre-op and have had 1 appointment with a nutritionist in my doctors office and I have to see her at least 1 more time before they will even schedule my surgery. I'm surprised you haven't seen one. I have to see her 4 more times post-op in the first year.

jamienichols22
on 10/22/13 5:28 am - MI

I go for surgery in Dec and was required to see the one in my surgeon's office twice before surgery (they where at my consultation visit) one was a group meeting and one was a individual meeting and I will see her once more after my surgery and then if I need her I will have to pay for individual sessions with her. She laid out the whole pre-op eating, vitamins, and the protein levels. I would suggest that you contact your surgeon and also be contacting a Reg Dietitian because you don't want to go into this blind that won't lead for much success in the long run.

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics