Plastic Surgery after WLS

NaturallySophisticated
on 10/19/13 6:01 am - OR

Has anyone had plastic surgery after WLS that their insurance paid for? I am pre-op without a date yet but I am scared that I will have all this flab that I cannot afford to get removed. 

PetHairMagnet
on 10/19/13 6:11 am, edited 10/19/13 1:06 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
My insurance will pay for a removal of stomach skin when you have it hanging down a certain amount (mine will not be enough) and it is consistently infected and causes issues with urination. From what I understand, even with meeting all three criteria they are very strict and will put you through the wringer to get it.

The insurance I start on next month (thanks, Obama) completely sucks and won't pay for any WLS or any corrective skin surgery.

I am 99% sure I will self pay for belly skin and arm skin to be removed.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

exohexoh
on 10/19/13 8:56 am - West Chester, PA

i (my parents) self-paid for my stomach skin removal. I had an extended tummy tuck with lipo in my hips, back and thighs. I'm hoping to get my boobs reduced and lifted next year. In a perfect world I'd have my thighs, flanks, and arms done but with the student loan debt I have, that won't happen, unless I marry a VERY rich man or get some large unexpected inheritance lol.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/20/13 2:09 am - OH

Except in rare cases, insurance will generally only cover a panniculectomy (skin removal below the navel witho any muscle tightening) if you have documentation of serious skin issues and if there is a sufficient amount of skin (often insurance requires that it hang below the public bone).  Other than that, you will have to cover the cost yourself.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/20/13 3:27 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:

Except in rare cases, insurance will generally only cover a panniculectomy (skin removal below the navel witho any muscle tightening) if you have documentation of serious skin issues and if there is a sufficient amount of skin (often insurance requires that it hang below the public bone).  Other than that, you will have to cover the cost yourself.

Lora

Yes, thank you--that is the exact word I was looking for. And there are a level of rules attached to it with my insurance as I shared above. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics