Is the pouch size similar for all RNY patients?

E R.
on 10/18/13 4:44 pm - Switzerland

I am 4.5 months post -op  and I am surprised how much food I can eat at a time vs other people on the forum.  I am eating according to my NUT' s guidance. So, my question is - do you think the surgeon decides, according to our pre-op weight, how big our pouches would be? 

RNY:  4 June 2013

Jacob H.
on 10/18/13 5:32 pm - CA

I'm not entirely sure about pouch size and thought there was a basic standard for it with slight variations. However the length of the roux-limb (hope I spelled that correctly) is usually determined by several factors including your BMI and age.

True victory comes at the very end, when you can say, " I lived, and will gladly do it again." View "failure" as a setback, and meet each accomplishment with a larger goal.

cajungirl
on 10/18/13 9:53 pm
Possibly or not. You would have to ask your surgeon if he does. Pouches can be made different sizes that's true. You are correct in how much people are able to eat.

In my case, my surgeon makes the pouch sizes the same but does the bypass length differently based on how much one needs to lose.

I had a 15 cc pouch size and was bypassed 80 cm so small pouch short bypass. Most surgeons do the bypass up to 150 cm in length unless they do a distal bypass which is more than 150 cm. distal bypasses tend to malabsorp more and it appears they have more vitamin deficiency issues.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

bsouder2210
on 10/19/13 12:40 am
I don't know if that's how they decide but I do know there are different sizes. I have seen a lot of people on here who had surgery the same day or day after me. They can eat half a cup where I can only eat 2 oz and usually not fini**** I don't know if my doctor makes all pouches that small or what but I know mine is smaller than others.

Mary Catherine
on 10/19/13 1:24 am
Each surgeon makes his the size he prefers for that patient. I had a micro-pouch, about the size of a grape. I was over a year before I could eat more than an ounce of solids. I could drink protein shakes right away because they run through like a funnel. The final pouch]
size ends up being about the size of an egg. Some surgeons start out that big. Final size might be between 6 and 12 ounces after about a year.
Larry Wassmann
on 10/19/13 1:41 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I think pouch size seems to be different for all people but I bet they are about the same size for most, it just does not seem that way. When I was just a few months out, I could not get more than about 2 ounces of solid food in at a time. I could eat a lot more of some softer food. As time went buy I could eat more and more. I think my pouch got in better shape. Now I can eat about 4 ounces of things like meat at one meal, but could eat more than a cup of salad and other soft foods. I still measure and weigh every things  because even now a year and a half out, if I over eat especially solid foods, I will up chuck. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

mzlaura
on 10/19/13 6:30 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I don't know about pouch sizes with my surgeon but i know she bypasses different sizes for the bypass. I was bypassed 140 cm. She bases it on your highest weight - BMI -  and i think age.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 306 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 291 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics