B12 question

-Babydoll-
on 10/17/13 11:53 am - Racine, WI
RNY on 08/08/13
I have seen alot of post of the sublingal B12, I have been taking a liquid form of B12 which has 10000mcg in it and it says to take 3tsp a day. My question is, is this fine to take and will it absorb like I need it to? Thanks for any and all help....

poet_kelly
on 10/17/13 11:58 am - OH

No, it won't.  We don't have enough stomach acid or intrinsic factor in our pouch to absorb B12 from our pouch, whether it's a liquid, a pill or a chewable.

We have to have a sublingual, or the nasal spray, or injections.

How long have you been using this liquid?  Have you had your B12 checked lately?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

-Babydoll-
on 10/17/13 12:04 pm - Racine, WI
RNY on 08/08/13
I've been using since I had my surgery in the begining of Aug. No I haven't had my levels checked. My next appt to see my NP is Nov.7th, but I'm going to call tomorro and have then order it. Could that be why I've be low on energy?

poet_kelly
on 10/17/13 12:07 pm - OH

It could be, although unless your B12 was on the low side when you had surgery, I don't know if you would have developed a deficiency this fast.  It would normally take more than two months for your level to drop a lot.

It makes sense to go ahead and get it checked now, though.  When you get the results, make sure you get the number, don't just ask if it's OK or not.  If it's below 550, people usually start getting symptoms like depression and fatigue.  Ideally, it would be around 1000.

If you've been really tired lately, you might wanna go ahead and get your iron checked too, while they're doing some labs.

And I would go ahead and start using a sublingual B12, or else ask for a script for the nasal spray or shots.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

-Babydoll-
on 10/17/13 12:11 pm - Racine, WI
RNY on 08/08/13
Ok, sounds good. Thanks for responding and the info it help alot...

Most Active
Recent Topics