Kidney Stones OUCH

Amanda263
on 10/15/13 10:52 pm

I went to the ER Monday morning in so much pain! I was so scared it had somethign to do with my surgery aug 22 2013 Luckily they told me its Kidney stones, I have never had them and they hurt so much worse then surgery really worse then any other pain I've had. Since Monday i can barely get in water trying hard so I can pass it quicker. Anyone else had A kidney stone? Any tips on what I should do? I have not eaten anything since Monday either but at least I'm not hungry! Any drink food ideas? I'm a little scared because i looked it up and a few of the top reasons for getting them is too much protein not enough water adn calcium build up. I really hope this is the one and only time i get this!

Ocalasam
on 10/15/13 10:55 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I have not had them, but heard they are horribly painful.  So sorry you are going through this.  There are treatments for it.  Hopefully it will pass . . . did your doctor have a plan??

chris_ruff
on 10/15/13 11:00 pm
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i had one about 18 months ago. horrible, excruciating pain. i feel for you. nothing you can do but stay hydrated and wait for it to pass.

my doc told me that within one year after a kidney stone, 50% of people get another one (don't know if this is anecdotal or research-based). He also said that the RNY diet (high protein and calcium, as you mentioned) makes RNY patients susceptible to stones (again, don't know if this is anecdotal or factual).

its been a year and a half and i haven't had another one. i'm much more conscious of drinking water now though. and lemon in water is really good too. something about the acidity is good for the kidneys. i've tried to cut back on coffee because its dehydrating. good luck, i know its really stinks.

--Christina
Amanda263
on 10/15/13 11:04 pm

Lucky you never getting a second. I know I will be alot more thoughtful on drinking lots and avoiding whatever should be avoided! lol How long did it take to go away from the first pains?

chris_ruff
on 10/15/13 11:07 pm
RNY on 04/07/09 with

after the initial pains and emergency room visit, i had intermittent discomfort for about 2 weeks, but it never rose to the level of intensity i experienced when it first happened. it passed sometime within those two weeks, but i never knew when. i was on high alert! i had to travel for work during that time and i was so afraid of ending up in the emergency room in another state. luckily, its passing wasn't really painful, although i was told it very well could have been. 

--Christina
Amanda263
on 10/15/13 11:02 pm

They told me it was 4 mm?  It should pass on its own could take anywhere from 42 days ummm 42 days shoot me now to a few days well today is day 3 and im still in alot of pain. My doctor said dont worry about eating he is wonderful has been supporting me through all of this surgery anything and everything I need. Just wanted an opinion of someone who had surgery then kidney stones.. I 'm just a  worried with all the pills I'm taking that no food isn't helping i did eat a few bites of toast just to get something in and tolerated that today! i was told gingerale but not sure on the whole soda thing so i've been trying to get in as much water as I can which i know isnt enough.

snowball24life
on 10/15/13 11:18 pm - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

I had multiple Kidney Stones before and after my RNY. I had a Lithotripsy before my RNY to rid my right kidney of them. The left one we never got to. About a month ago I went back to the Doctors as I was in pain and knew from experience what was going on. My right kidney is filled with stones again, and my left has multiple stones as well. With the biggest one being 11 MM!!! I cannot physically pass that so my Urologist has stated I am going back for more Lithrotripsys.

My Urologist told me that RNY patients ARE more susceptible to getting Kidney Stones, and if you have had them before, then a lot of times you will get them again. I actually just did a 24 hour urine yesterday so they can try and see why my body keeps making them.

I agree with everyone else, just keep yourself hydrated and do whatever your Doctor wants you to do so you can at least try to prevent them from forming in the future. Best of Luck!

Amanda263
on 10/15/13 11:52 pm

Thanks! 11 mm if the pain goes by how big the stones are I feel so bad for you! Sucks you keep getting them i hope this is the first and last time i get them. my doctors office just called to check on me and is prescribing something to help it pass just really curious why they wouldnt of gave me that when I left the ER. Glad I went to a different state to get surgery!  they gave me the screens to pee into and there is some sand in it so hoping thats a good sign! I can usually tolerate pain but this is evil! Again good luck with yours hope they figure it out for you!

mitsiemae
on 10/16/13 1:07 am

I have heard that Lemon either breaks up kidney stones or helps prevent them.  Im not sure.   But also B6 and magnesium and of course drink water.

emelar
on 10/16/13 1:41 am - TX

Unfortunately, I know more about kidney stones than I every wanted to know.

There are different kinds of kidney stones and they are caused by different things.  The most common are struvite.  They're infectious kidney stones and not caused by anything in your diet.  All stones are painful as hell and, even after they pass, your bladder is still irritated and ouchy for a few weeks.  Wishing you the best of luck (and good pain meds!).

Most Active
Recent Topics