UGH!

walkingbear36
on 10/15/13 1:28 am - Ferndale, MI

Next Monday i start my one week diet before my surgery on the 28th. YIPPEEE!!  i've been putting off "tasting" the protein shakes for fear that they will be horrible and i didn't want to subject myself to choking one down before i absolutely had too. well, this morning i pulled up my big girl PJs and gave it a swig. It was just ok and really sweet! i purchased the Premium shakes from Costco andi can see myself getting tired of them real soon. are the Unjury shakes any better? anyone?

13 days and counting until i'm on the Losers Bench!!!

Katie K.
on 10/15/13 1:41 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I can't stand Unjury, except for the chicken soup flavor. I like Syntrax Nectar. I get the chocolate truffle and mix it with fat-free lactose-free milk. I used to get the fruit flavors and mix them with water, but the water seems to make them really foamy. I haven't had them in probably... almost a year.

walkingbear36
on 10/15/13 1:47 am - Ferndale, MI

thanks!

Danimar
on 10/15/13 1:50 am - San Antonio, TX

When I was doing the pre-op liquid diet, I did originally go buy the boxed shakes, but I couldn't handle those very easily, so I decided to spend a bit more and buy protein powder from The Vitamin Shoppe (or GNC if you prefer).  I bought Sigma 6 in Chocolate and Strawberry, I mixed it with milk and ice in the blender, and I made a nice frothy shake in the mornings. I also bought unflavored whey protein powder. I usually did a shake in the morning, had a small lunch (my surgeon allowed us to have a small meal a day, but I know that some don't). Then I'd either do another shake at dinner, or I would mix the unflavored whey protein in with a can of cream of chicken soup and a bit of seasoning to mask the whey flavor when I wanted something savory.  Throughout the rest of the day, I would drink chicken and beef broth, crystal ligh****er, tea, sugar free jello, and sugar free popsicles.  I also kept hard boiled eggs on hand or little bits of lunch meat as a cheat to get me through some bad hunger issues when I had them - but I would only eat one egg or just a little bit of the lunch meat - just enough to get by.  I still lost during that time and my liver was in good shape for the surgery.  I'm sure a lot of people followed a more strict pre-op plan, and the sigma six powders are a tad higher in carbs than some of the boxed drinks, especially mixed with milk, but I did what I knew I could live with before hand, and it worked out ok for me.  Good luck to you on starting your journey!!

HW (395) - I lost some before starting my process.  SW (375) Surgery Date (350)  CW (307)

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/13 1:52 am

The ones from Costco are pretty good.I like I also like a lot is Pure Protein. If you have a Vitamin store near you they sell single cans.I am one person who has a major gag reflex but these I really liked.I do like the pre mixed ones they just make it easier for me to grab one of them when I am on the run.Pure Protein has a great banana one I really liked that one the best. You will be able to do this.If I can anyone can.If you are allowed sugar free jello make sure you have that on hand.Best of luck.

Day_dream_believer
on 10/15/13 2:34 am

I would suggest buying a bunch of samples to see what ones you like.  Taste depends on the person.  I can't stand the fruity shakes or the vanilla ones.  My current favorite is Bariatric advantage iced latte.  I put a little gingerbread syrup in it today to change up the taste.  Others love the fruit shakes.  

blopez579
on 10/15/13 2:42 am
RNY on 09/11/13

My clinic recommended the Bariatric Advantage.  It's got lo cal and lots of protein.  I like them all, but least of all orange.

Ditto on the unflavored Whey Protein Powder.  Mixed with anything, very paletable.

Ocalasam
on 10/15/13 3:22 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I buy the Premier Protein shakes from Sam's Club.  I've been drinking one for breakfast for about 9 months and they are not bad at all.  The chocolate ones taste pretty much just like chocolate milk.  They are fairly low in calories and sugar and are high in protein, and also not too expensive since you can get them from Sam's and Costco.  I've tried others and like these the best.

omiomezzo
on 10/15/13 4:37 am
RNY on 09/19/13

If you like coffee flavored beverages, Syntrax Nectar in Cappuccino is AMAZING!  I mix it with unsweetened Almond Milk and some ice cubes and it's like drinking a frappuccino.

367 (HW)       357 (SW)          180 (GW)

averybyrd
on 10/15/13 5:04 am

I drink Jay Robb shakes (powder with either milk or soy or almond milk). I really only like the chocolate one, but they have about 5 flavors. Vitamin Shoppe also sells samples of them, so you can try before you buy.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 349 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 311 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 103 views
Recent Topics
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 103 views