How much help after surgery?

Nurseratchet26
on 9/23/13 4:42 pm - VA

My husband is probably not going to be able to take more than a day off work. How much assistance did you all need after going home? I have an 18 year old that is home all day and an 11 year old who will be in school during the day. No friends or family in he area unfortunately. Will I be able to take care of myself mostly? My 18 year old is a boy so I would feel awkward asking him to do anything too personal. I figure that the first few days I will just walk around in the house, or did you guys feel up to more than that. My 11 year old will be pretty helpful when she comes home. Do you think I'll be o.k with just my kids while hubby is at work?

Another Fatone
on 9/23/13 6:16 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

They kept me 2 nights in the hospital. Lots of walking around in the hospital. My wife drove me home 65 miles away. When I got home I was pretty much on my own. I did not require pain pills. I did not have a drain. 

Good Luck to you.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Jen75
on 9/23/13 7:52 pm
RNY on 07/18/13

I think you should be just fine.  The only thing I ever really needed help with was getting up from a chair.  Speaking of which, I would get one of those things for your toilet seat that make it higher up.  It is easier to get up off the toilet when it is 3" higher than a normal low toilet.  Just a suggestion. :).  Good luck with everything!

Allen Y.
on 9/23/13 8:19 pm - Garland, TX

I think you will be just fine on your own.

Just don't go weight lifting in the gym.

dufiedog
on 9/23/13 9:05 pm

I was pretty much on my own from the time I got home.  I had surgery one and was home the next. (After a 90 mile trip from hell).My sister stayed about 4 hours with me and got things adjusted for me.  I think you should do just fine. My sister never once helped me in the bathroom.

Good luck to you. See you on the loser's bench.

KatBee
on 9/23/13 9:29 pm

You will be fine. My husband was home but I really didn't need much help. I would ask your husband to prep the meals for the kids

Laura in Texas
on 9/23/13 10:10 pm

When I had my RNY my kids were little. My mom helped with them, but I did not need any help.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

karenp8
on 9/23/13 10:37 pm - Brighton, IL

I had no help because hubby was at work and sons away at college and I did fine. You should be fine too.

chulbert
on 9/23/13 11:08 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

My surgeon said that if all goes according to plan, patients are limited only by "comfort and common sense."

jenmcg
on 9/23/13 11:56 pm - MN
RNY on 09/16/13

Since your children are older, I think you'll be just fine. You'll be able to rest as needed without worrying what they're doing (too much lol). Good luck with your surgery! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 92 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 92 views