People's reaction to my weight loss

KatBee
on 9/20/13 2:03 am

I'm getting a kick out of how some people react to my weight loss. I've had a few people think I'm sick, I've been asked if I have an eating disorder. I've had people size me up with their eyes & either not say anything or wait a bit to say something.  I've also had people not recognize me. The best by far is when someone said to me "your loosing weight" but they way they said it, it was like they didn't think I knew I had lost weight.

Eatingtolive
on 9/20/13 2:07 am

Wow!!  That's great!  I can't wait till people start saying they notice it.  I think they notice something is different, (by how some look at me), but they can't figure out what.  I can live without the am I sick comment though.  Good for you!

Megan K.
on 9/20/13 2:55 am
RNY on 02/18/13

I'm less amused and more uncomfortable by the reactions I've been getting.  I've had people literally chase me down to tell me that I've lost weight...I've started just thanking them for their compliments and moving on.  I hate the dreaded, "how are you doing it" question.  I'm proud of the decision I made, so I simply say I've had surgery.  Some people's reaction is anything but amusing. 

AR_Queen
on 9/20/13 9:14 am
RNY on 05/29/13

When people ask me how I am doing it, I say "portion control and exercise" which is the truth enlightened

Ocalasam
on 9/20/13 3:05 am
RNY on 12/18/12

People's reactions are just part of the rapid weight loss process.  Besides, everyone asks how you did it, because most people want to loose weight also.  I've had people not recognize me . . . at all, which is crazy.  I had a friend yesterday tell me "I hate you because you are so skinny now!"  She then texted me to make sure I knew that she was just jealous and it was a compliment, which I already knew.  I told her that anytime the work skinny and ME is used in a sentence, I won't be offended!!!

Enjoy the compliments now.  They will stop soon enough!

Lynn W.
on 9/20/13 3:27 am
RNY on 02/25/13

For the most part I've received "whatever you are doing, keep it up; you look great" compliments.  The other day I had someone say to me "You look like you've lost a TON of weight."  I replied "well not quite a ton, but thanks anyway."  I don't think they intended to be offensive, and maybe I just took it the wrong way...who knows.  At any rate, I still can't get over it when people use my name and "skinny" in the same sentence...don't know if i ever will!  As for when they ask the "how are you doing it" questions, I simply reply LOTS OF HARD WORK...because it is...and those who need to know I had surgery already know.  I'm not ashamed, just don't like spreading my business...

smilesandcurves
on 9/20/13 3:52 am - TX
RNY on 08/08/13 with

I like that answer, Lynn. It is a s-ton of hard work to have this surgery and to live in a world of no sugar and fat. However, I am thrilled I did this. I think I might borrow that answer.

Dancing my way to better health,

Tara

Angie_K
on 9/21/13 1:14 am - VA
RNY on 05/22/13
Someone told me yesterday that I was wasting away. Lol

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/21/13 1:25 am - OH

That's funny that hey say it like they though you weren't aware of it!

It was very weird the first time someone didn't recognize me at all ****il I spoke and they recognized the voice), but then I got used to it. At six years out, it now happens very rarely, but two weeks ago I saw someone whom I had not seen in about 7 years, and since it had been a long time since that situation had come up for me, at first I didn't realize that she didn't recognize me!  I have to admit that it IS kind of cool to be able to see someone that I don't really care to talk to in a store or restaurant and to be able to walk right past them without even a glimmer of recognition!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 62 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views