Tordol?

snowball24life
on 9/22/13 5:29 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

Long story short, went to the ER because of EXTREME left kidney pain.. Found out both my kidneys are filled with numerous stones. The Emergency Room PA wanted to give me Tordol. I told him I was 4 months post-op from having an RNY and I could not have it due to the possibility of ulcers from the use of it. He then proceeded to tell me having it once would do no harm, and proceeded to give it to me.

I know awhile back I had read on here someone saying something about the use of Tordol, and how it was a No-No for RNY patients. I guess my question is, has anyone else used Tordol after their RNY, and if so did they get an ulcer? What should I look for? Or do I have nothing to worry about.. Just nervous and need reassurance. Thanks.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/22/13 5:40 am - OH

One of the people so was an active poster here a few years so got an ulcer from a single dose of Toradol, so it CAN, and HAS, happened. They tried to give me Toradol in the ER for kidney stones as well, and one of the ER nurses argued with me that it wasn't an NSAID, but fortunately the doctor and a other nurse straightened her out,  You CAN insist that they give you other pain meds (Morphine or Dilaudid), which is what I did.

Mostly, you watch for pain in your pouch or pain that might be coming from your remnant stomach.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

snowball24life
on 9/22/13 5:45 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

Thank you! I tried arguing with the PA to no avail.. He gave me Dilaudid after the Toradol..  I will keep an eye out. Thank you for the advice!

Mommiecat
on 9/22/13 5:53 am

This is so confusing to me as they gave me Torodol every 4-6 hours post-op for 3 days! I didn't want the morphine after the first day so that was what they gave me. I had no idea it was an NSAID and I am assuming they were following the surgeon's orders. ??

poet_kelly
on 9/23/13 2:11 am - OH

They could not give you any medication without an order from your surgeon, so yes, they would have been following his orders. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PJV123
on 9/22/13 6:57 am
RNY on 09/16/13
I just had surgery 9/16 and they also gave me both Tordol and Dualidad (sp?) while in hospital. Surgeon actually told me they prefer Tordol for the comfort it provides. I would definitely discuss with your care team. Good luck!
mzlaura
on 9/22/13 7:26 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

YES! When i was in urgent care the PA gave me toradol through injection. I told her i couldn't have NSAID'S and she said it would be fine! Needless to say i had gastritis back in April and i think i now have an ulcer will have another endoscopy soon. It may or may not be caused from the toradol.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

proudmami135
on 9/22/13 7:53 am - OH
RNY on 09/16/13

I received Torodol in the hospital after surgery. I asked the nurse for something to help with the soreness vs. the pain and she came back with Torodol. 

scoobyluvr1
on 9/22/13 8:50 am
RNY on 10/21/13
Super confusing for sure they say one thing but then do something else.

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

Lisa_Douglas
on 9/22/13 9:06 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Oh no!!!  So sorry to hear things have gone so downhill nice Friday. Were you at Ellis?  Hope you are starting to experience some relief!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 17 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views