So pissed... I believe I'm severely dehydrated and the dr I saw was incompetent.

lostinaparkinglot
on 9/12/13 3:04 pm - Stockton, CA

Long post sorry in advance!

I wish that I wasn't having such a hard time with this surgery. I know I had 4 procedures done but I am so tired of not feeling well. I have even come to regret this surgery because of how horrible I feel. I have all the signs of severe dehydration. I called my surgeon who is an hour away and he told me I need iv fluids and to go to er. Well I didn't feel like going to er and waiting for 5+ hours in the condition I am in so I found an urgent care that on their website said they provide iv fluids for dehydration. I even called to confirm and they told me yes and if I was too serious they would send me to the er. I get there wait an hour and 20 minutes. Get my vitals done and my blood pressure was 98/69 my oxygen was 96 and I had a slight temperature. When the dr came in I told him all my problems and he told me that he doesn't know anything about bypass surgery and that he can't give me iv fluids. I asked him why bc I knew they did it and my surgeon said I need it. He told me just because someone says something doesnt mean its true. He gave me a zofran shot and sent me home. Told me to drink water or Gatorade. I even told him when I drink I throw up I can't get a lot down. I am really upset and still not even treated. I just decided to deal with it and if I'm not better tomorrow I will go to the er. 

Ceithlenn
on 9/12/13 3:42 pm - WI
RNY on 08/28/13

I am so sorry that your having such a tough time. Do you have anyone that can go out and get you some sugar free popsicles? That might be a way to get a little liquid in that wont come back up. I don't know why but unfortunately doctors going forward for a while that are not bariatric doctors are going to be afraid to treat you. I hope you start feeling better and are able to get some liquids in :)

Good Luck 

Heather

lostinaparkinglot
on 9/12/13 4:46 pm - Stockton, CA

Thanks for your reply. I've been sipping on some powerade zero and I had a sugar free Popsicle. I wish I was able to get more liquids in but when I sip my stomach start rumbling and I have hiccups. It sucks so bad. 

Reel
on 9/12/13 7:28 pm

I just realized that you had surgery roughly 3 weeks ago. Yeah, I'd go back to the ER and let them "juice you up" with fluids, because you likely will not be able to "catch up" on your own this early out. The low blood pressure shoulda been a hint tot he Urgent Care doctor that you needed fluids. But urgent care is kinda iffy.

When I got out of the operating room to my hospital room, this lady had been admitted to the hospital 5 times for dehydration. Thankfully that has never happend to me. 

ToNewBeginnings
on 9/12/13 8:26 pm

If you are not better tomorrow you will go to the ER?

If you have all of the signs of "severe dehydration" do you think you will be feel better tomorrow? What are you waiting for? Your surgeon already told you to go to the ER.

GO.

poet_kelly
on 9/12/13 11:21 pm - OH

98/69 is not that low for blood pressure.  Mine typically runs about 90/60.

I realize you're feeling awful and I'm sorry you had such a negative experience.  The urgent care doctor has to make his own diagnosis and prescribe the treatment he feels is needed.  Your surgeon didn't actually see you or examine you, so the urgent care doc can't take your word for it that your surgeon said you are dehydrated.  Your surgeon was offering his best guess, based on the symptoms you described to him, but the urgent care doc that actually examined you was in a better position to diagnosed whether or not you were dehydrated.

Can you get an appointment with your surgeon today?  Or go to the ER at the hospital where your surgeon practices?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jewelsstevens
on 9/12/13 11:33 pm - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

Unfortunately, "urgent care" facilities are more geared toward colds, stitches, work related injuries, etc. It is the same thing as going to your primary care doctors office. They are not equipped to handle severe dehydration. You should go to the ER and not wait.

Jewelsstevens
on 9/12/13 11:35 pm - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

Sorry, I didn't finish my thought properly. You should go to the ER and not wait if you truly believe that you are severely dehydrated.

Sarah R.
on 9/13/13 1:48 am, edited 9/13/13 1:49 am

Go to the ER...if you let dehydration go too long, and seriously its not like it takes a frigging genius doc to diagnose this, your kidneys can shut down. Happened to my dad last year.

Ive been to the UC after surgery and when I told them of my surgery they contacted and consulted with my surgeon regarding my symptoms. You get a good doc sometimes and sometimes you dont. They are not all created equal. Did they even take a urine sample? Pretty easy for them to assess dehydration.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 295 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views