Protein Bars

tdbull
on 9/4/13 9:28 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
When did you all start eating protein bars, and what kind do you recommend? I am in Phase 4 solid softs so likely not ready yet. Just wonder when I can try some. Getting very tired of protein shakes.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

EternalEx
on 9/4/13 9:39 am - Canada
I like the Oh Yeah variety. But don't use them often, just when I'm in a bind. I was probably 5 weeks out before i tried - when i started full solids.
Karens62
on 9/4/13 10:38 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Oh yeah is my favorite too. I started them at about 8 weeks as a backup when I traveled, chewing them like a mad woman!

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

LilyBugsMommy
on 9/4/13 9:40 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I started around 4 weeks post-op & I use the Premier bars from Costco.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Missella20
on 9/4/13 9:43 am
RNY on 07/11/13

About week 6. I was told to find a soft protein bar with no nuts and less than 12 g of sugar. Also to only eat half aat a time for a snack.

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

poet_kelly
on 9/4/13 10:20 am - OH

Probably about six months out, I think.  I don't remember exactly.

Atkins has some good ones fairly low in carbs and sugar.  And Quest bars are good, nutritionally speaking.  They aren't my favorites, taste-wise.  They are good, just not my favorites.  My favorites are ones with more sugar, like Luna bars and Zone Perfect.  But if you want less sugar, I'd try Atkins and Quest.  The Quest bars are pretty dense, but if you microwave them for just a few seconds, they get softer and kinda like a fresh-baked cookie.  Oh, and I made protein ice cream with a Quest chocolate chip cookie dough protein bar, and it was yummy yummy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kinny09
on 9/4/13 10:24 am, edited 9/4/13 10:24 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I only use them occasionally when on the go or if I'm in a rush and can't stop to cook, but around 4 weeks out I was OK'd to use them if needed as a meal. Quest bars are OK, but I really love the Simply Whey (Mint Chocolate flavor) and Simply Protein bars (Lemon Coconut), they have great stats. They are light and not dense and gooey like other protein bars, the texture is just like a rice krispie treat. I order them from Amazon, I have never seen them in stores before so I think they are imported from elsewhere.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

sarah_durso
on 9/4/13 1:34 pm

They are made in Canada .  

PetHairMagnet
on 9/4/13 7:02 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Quest and Detour Low Sugar are my two favorites. Some of the flavors of the Quest are BLECH, some are awesome. I have liked every flavor of Detour...but be SURE they are the low sugar kind. :)

I had Quest apple pie and white chocolate raspberry bars for the first time this week--I could buy a case of each. YUMMMMM!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Ericka K.
on 9/4/13 8:05 pm

I was about 4 weeks and tried a Quest bar.  I only ate 1/3 of it, chewed it REALLYwell.  It sat heavy in my pouch at that point.  Im 9 weeks out and eat them occasionally, but they still sit heavy in my pouch.  I really like the pure protein bars.  I have tried a couple different kinds and always go back to those. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 319 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 60 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics