I'm an idiot!

stonerose
on 8/25/13 9:49 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

I had RNY surgery 5 and a half weeks ago (7/16/13) and I've been doing well, eating 600-800 calories a day, getting protein and water in - losing 1lb a wee****il Friday when I dropped 3 (yippee!).  I might have overdone my swimming this week - I swam 30-40 minutes 5 days in a row and did weights 2 days in a row and was exhausted Saturday and Sunday. 

Then today, an old habit leapt in - I started off well, eating as usual, then for dinner, I kept eating and it was like I didn't have restriction!  Just kept eating!  When I realized what I was doing, I stopped - logged everything on myfitnesspal - which says I ate 1255 calories today!  What's going on?  - Well, the overeating I'm familiar with, but no restriction at less than 6 weeks?  Am I crazy?  And no, I was not drinking fluid.

Anyway, I'll start fresh and on track tomorrow - and I've probably gained back that drop I had!

Stupid me.

Too early to be failing like that.

C

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

poet_kelly
on 8/25/13 10:04 am - OH

You cannot gain back three pounds by eating 1255 calories - to gain three pounds, you'd need to eat 10,500 calories more than you burned.

What did you eat, and how much, when you say you had no restriction?

Are you measuring your food?  That's probably the best way to to make sure you don't overeat.  Measure your portion, put it on your plate and put the rest away.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JaneJetson60
on 8/25/13 10:11 am
RNY on 05/07/12

That's why many of us measure our food and at 5 weeks there is no way you should be consuming that many calories.  You already see the mistake and remember the nerve was cut in your stomach so you won't feel fullness right now, hence why many of our surgeons have us measure out the amount right from the get go.  What does your surgeon's program call for what you are to eat and how much?  I was lucky to get in even 400 calories that early out.  Good luck  Jane

stonerose
on 8/25/13 10:22 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

I'm supposed to eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food and I do measure it out.  Usually.  I don't know what you mean about not feeling fullness, I certainly usually feel very full.  Last week I took one bite too many and it came back up.  I'm still on soft foods, but I ate some of the cheese off of my son's pizza - that's the impulsive overindulge and I counted it on my calories as a slice of pizza.  I also had a protein shake which was leaving a nasty taste in my mouth so I found myself eating (grazing) to get the taste out of my mouth.  Except for the cheese from the pizza, what I ate was measured and allowed - just surprised I didn't feel full/stuffed like I have in the past.  Of course, I don't feel so great right now  - as it's all just sitting in my gut.

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

poet_kelly
on 8/25/13 10:53 am - OH

Just "some cheese" off your son's pizza probably did not have as many calories as a whole slice of pizza.  Unless, of course, you ate a LOT of cheese off that pizza.  If it was only a little cheese, I'm not surprised you didn't feel stuffed.  You didn't eat that much more than the amount you measured out to eat.

It's easy to graze like that, though, and it is easy to end up getting a LOT more calories than we mean to get if we do that.  It's good to be aware of that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/26/13 8:48 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM Pacific Time, stonerose wrote:

I'm supposed to eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food and I do measure it out.  Usually.  I don't know what you mean about not feeling fullness, I certainly usually feel very full.  Last week I took one bite too many and it came back up.  I'm still on soft foods, but I ate some of the cheese off of my son's pizza - that's the impulsive overindulge and I counted it on my calories as a slice of pizza.  I also had a protein shake which was leaving a nasty taste in my mouth so I found myself eating (grazing) to get the taste out of my mouth.  Except for the cheese from the pizza, what I ate was measured and allowed - just surprised I didn't feel full/stuffed like I have in the past.  Of course, I don't feel so great right now  - as it's all just sitting in my gut.

You are 5 weeks or 5 months? At 5 months my husband moved to 3/4 cup of solid food. No way could I do that now and I am 3 months out.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/26/13 11:01 am - OH

Most people say that they don't feel a sense of fullness for the first month or so because they cut the nerves in your stomach when they create your pouch. Some of us do, though.  I did.  By the second week out when I could have dense foods, I could definitely feel when I was full. Not sure how that reconciles with the whole nerve-cutting thing, but I know others who had the same experience.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/13 1:15 pm - CA
RNY on 03/22/12

Well Stonerose,

i certainly wouldn't say you are "failing". You are so far out from where that would be of concern. But, I do find it curious, even concerning that you were ABLE to eat that much at this early juncture. At 18 months out I am not able to eat beyond 1,000, 1,100 calories TOPS,..and that being very recent, certainly couldn't have consumed more than 600 calories a day when I was where you are.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/25/13 8:59 pm
One day like that will not hurt you. And you may be surprised to find out that after one day of higher calories you body may start losing faster... Some call that calories cycling ... Google that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Misty Morgan
on 8/25/13 11:27 pm - Goshen , OH
RNY on 04/24/13
Even if you ate all the cheese from a slice of pizza it wouldn't be considered a slice of pizza. The crust and bottom can be high in calories/carbs.

Having said that, the important thing is that you're only five weeks out and now is the time to change the change the way you think about food. Always measure and dont over eat. Follow your surgeons guidelines too. They are they for a reason. Make better choices - I am sure you want to be a success.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 78 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 78 views