2 weeks 3 days post op

Nikki_Lynn
on 8/25/13 2:23 am - OH

Well it has been 2 weeks and 3 days since I've had my surgery. I am officially down 22 pounds and a mere 5 pounds shy from my own personal goal of 299 pounds. This is of course great, and makes everything I've gone through thus far worth it. Sadly though I am going through my mourning food phase. I miss it, I miss going through the drive through and grabbing that burger, or whatever. And I hate that I miss it, it makes me angry at myself. But for many, many, years food has been my cure all, my best friend. And as my mother puts it "you miss your best friend". I hope that this soon passes as it is making me crazy with depression. 

sonyamarie75
on 8/25/13 2:29 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

Big hugs! I know you miss it! I do it! I firmly believe as time goes on and you replace your old habits with new ones, it will get better. For now, just ignore that little voice in your head telling you you want to stop and get that fast food. Right now, that voice isn't your friend!!!! You can do this!!!

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

selhard
on 8/25/13 2:37 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I went through the same grieving process...walking through a grocery store or watching food commercials even bothered me.  But I found those feelings to diminish quickly (less than 2 months) and be replaced with weight loss elation. I went from 4, 3, 2 and am now close to onederland.

_nicky_
on 8/25/13 3:15 am - OK
RNY on 06/25/13

Congrats on your weight loss so far! You will make it through the mourning. Don't be angry with yourself. It's totally normal. I was there myself. Now I'm starting to find things easier, although there are sometimes that I'm just sick of having to "watch" everything so close and really wish I had a "day off" to just not have to think about food so much. Keep up the good work!

5'6"   HW: 297   SW: 274   CW: 194   GW: 135

Total loss: 103 lbs    Surgery loss: 80 lbs    Left to lose: 59 lbs

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/25/13 4:12 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13
I know how you feel. It's hard and hopefully we will be able to shrug these feelings off sooner rather than later. I have found for me that the higher my protein intake the less head hunger I have... Try to be positive about your fantastic weightloss! It's better to reach out here for help than to eat at the drive through!
Hugs - Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

karenp8
on 8/25/13 5:15 am - Brighton, IL

Try to make sure that you are getting plenty of protein because that will help you to feel full. And just keep reminding yourself that your "friend" food helped you to get on the path to obesity,diabetes,high blood pressure. With friends like that--who needs enemies!

bluesfan
on 8/25/13 10:20 am - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

Nikki, This to shall pass !  Karen love your post, it is so right on.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/25/13 11:16 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM Pacific Time, Nikki_Lynn wrote:

Well it has been 2 weeks and 3 days since I've had my surgery. I am officially down 22 pounds and a mere 5 pounds shy from my own personal goal of 299 pounds. This is of course great, and makes everything I've gone through thus far worth it. Sadly though I am going through my mourning food phase. I miss it, I miss going through the drive through and grabbing that burger, or whatever. And I hate that I miss it, it makes me angry at myself. But for many, many, years food has been my cure all, my best friend. And as my mother puts it "you miss your best friend". I hope that this soon passes as it is making me crazy with depression. 

Your personal goal was onlyl 27 lbs down? Or is that a milestone? Because I am really hoping that is not your goal. 

Have you considered therapy for your affection of food? You don't sound addicted, per se, but you sound like you have great affection for food and a therapist could help you change that. 

Frankly, there is not a single item on a fast food menu that appeals to me, but I do have some strategies of things I can eat when I need to. For instance, I was in some major traffic due to a highway being closed down today and a 90 minute trip took me 5 hours. So when I could, I got off and went to Taco Bell, got pintos and cheese, no sauce, and had that for my lunch. Would that be my first choice? No, but I was not in the mood for a bar (170 calories) and had planned on beans and cheese at home and so I ran to the border and got a 180 calorie lunch. 

So for me, it is being smart with the tool I have and frankly, the idea of putting a greasy burger with a doughy bun in my mouth makes me want to hurl. I have NO attraction to that. I think as you get more active, see results, feel wonderful and change your lifestyle, you'll be sickened by that, too. If not, try this: Go to McDonald's and fill up on the smells inside the building (NOT the drive thru) and then go right out and take a DEEP whiff of the trash. That turns off the 'yum' factor pretty darn quick! Just be sure you know where the trash is and exit as close to that location as possible. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Nikki_Lynn
on 8/25/13 12:02 pm - OH
No I just have mini goals for myself. First one get out of the 300's, next one hit 250, etc. I don't view it as a food addiction, more just a mourning phase, breaking old habits.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 233 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 103 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?