Sleep Apnea ... Gone ??

sarah_durso
on 8/22/13 4:21 pm

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea back in 2011 . My husband said I snored so loud he could hear me all the way downstairs, with the bedroom door shut. My Mom said she could hear me in the opposite end of the house too. My sister lives with me at the moment. She said before the surgery , my door was closed and so was hers. She'd hear me snoring every night.  

Now, since surgery on 7/15 , I've lost 55 lbs .   My sister says I no longer snore. She gets up several times  a night and also about 3 hrs before I do.  No snoring at all. I also don't get headaches any longer , nor am I tired like I used to be. I used to nod off all the time. Constantly exhausted .   All my symptoms are gone. Just dreading going back for that sleep test. Ugh, those are the worst ! 

The post op class said RNY can help people over come Sleep Apnea about 80% of the time ( It was around that, don't quote me) .  

Who here has over come it and how long did it take ? 

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/13 8:13 pm

Did you have a CPAP machine? If not Im surprised they didnt make you get one when you had your first sleep study. Also if you have one keep using it until you are told other wise. It is so important to be able to sleep correctly.  But anyway congratulations on no more snoring or tiredness. I have severe sleep apnea and depend on my machine. Hopefully after my surgery I wont need it anymore either. :-)

sarah_durso
on 8/23/13 1:10 am, edited 8/23/13 1:13 am

Yes I have a cpap, but  don't always use it .I need a new mask , and have been putting it off.   I used the hospitals cpap in the hospital .   The doctor knows, but I hyperventilate a lot wearing the mask. I wake up in the middle of the night gasping wearing the mask .   Always had a problem with it.  

nfarris79
on 8/22/13 8:54 pm - Germantown, MD

I had my 2nd sleep study after I hit goal and went from mod/severe OSA to very mild OSA. My husband no longer hears me snore or gasp for breath at night, also have no daytime sleepiness anymore! Still have a bit of early-waking insomnia (expected per my sleep dr) but I've turned it into something functional - early am training for a marathon!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

nurl
on 8/22/13 10:10 pm
RNY on 05/14/13
Congrats!!! I had surgery the day before you. I feel like mine is better. I am on bipap. I am afraid to try a night without it at this point. My sleep apnea was severe. I will test with a sleep study ( I dislike them as well). Good luck and let me know how you do.

meeshelle
on 8/22/13 10:28 pm
RNY on 03/04/13

i have/had severe OSA with 160 episodes an hour never had symptoms though until one night i woke up and couldnt breathe i have lost 110 pounds so far and still use the cpap i dont think its benefiting me right now i am waiting til near the end of the year to see if he will do another sleep study since i have met my oop and deductible with my insurance hopefully i can come off it. i dont want to stop until he says its ok

Visit my blog as I travel this new developing road. :)

http://iveweightedalongtimeforthis.blogspot.com/

dorky_kelly
on 8/22/13 10:34 pm
RNY on 12/11/12

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea about a month before my surgery.  I used my CPAP religiously and my quality of sleep improved until surgery.  After surgery, I returned the machine and never used it again.  My sleep apnea was gone within the 6 weeks before I could use the CPAP again.

I have been a lifelong snore-er!  The embarrassment of snoring at sleepovers plagued my childhood, and not to mention affected the sleeping arrangements of almost every boyfriend I've had.  So depressing to wake up in the morning and find your bf sleeping on your couch because you sound like a freight train.

I have lost about 110 lbs. since my surgery in December of 2012 and I no longer snore AT ALL!  It is a miracle!  My quality of sleep is amazing.  I am so happy that my surgery took care of this.  I was expecting to relieve my sleep apnea, but even the whole not-snoring thing has really contributed to my sleep quality, which in turn has contributed to my overall health.  Gotta love it!

AGE:  29  |  HEIGHT:  5'5"  |  HW:  375  |  SW:  349 (12/11/12)

Food Journal/Exercise Log 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/22/13 11:29 pm - OH

I don't know when mine stopped (because of PTSD, wearing a CPAP was not an option), but I know that when we went on vacation when I was 6.5 months out and had lost 100 pounds it was completely gone.

Loa

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

CJ S.
on 8/23/13 1:27 am
VSG on 01/09/14

I've not had the surgery yet, so this post has been eye opening and I am so looking forward to not snoring anymore and having a good nights sleep. OMG I don't even know what that feels like. I had my tonsils removed in 2008 because I can't wear a face mask. I absolutely freak out with the mask and hyperventilate. Keep us posted on your progress ... sounds great!

Congratulations on your awesome weight loss!

sarah_durso
on 8/23/13 1:32 am

I have the same problem with the mask .   Are you scheduled for surgery ? or just looking into getting it ? Into the process ? 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views