Help...2 days post op

alleyoop
on 8/22/13 6:30 am
RNY on 08/20/13

Just released from hospital today & terrified of getting dehydrated. Does anyone have a sipping schedule they followed? My dr says I can have 2 oz/hr. 

"what's inside is more important than what's outside. people will forget a pair of tacky shoes but they won't forget a tacky heart." sophie hudson

The Salty Hag
on 8/22/13 6:41 am
RNY on 05/20/13
I was told by my dietician "If you're awake, you should be sipping."
My schedule was 4 oz per hour.
Good luck!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

poet_kelly
on 8/22/13 6:46 am - OH

Why only 2 oz per hour?  Seems like you are destined to be dehydrated if that's all you have - if you sleep eight hours a night and get 2 oz an hour the rest of the time, you'd only get 32 oz all day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ebtiger24
on 8/22/13 6:58 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
I kept a bottle of water by me the entire time. I just sipped and sipped. It wasn't hard for me. I drank a lot of fluids before surgery. It was old habit to me. It was jus****er and crystal light instead of diet coke.

angeleigh
on 8/22/13 7:12 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I didnt do a schedule, but I did get a 20 oz water bottle, and marked on it every 5 ozs. I drank 5 oz every 30 mins. sometimes it took me the whole 30 mins to drink it, sometimes not. But it was my way or being able to see how much I was drinking. I didnt measure out 1 oz I just drank what I wanted.

Warm liquids are easier to get down. Or popsicles, slushies, sno cones, since you chew those. If your drinking do room temp.

This is kind of what  I did. with out the straw part!!!

Tips for eating clean and staying healthy.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Miamos
on 8/22/13 8:05 am - OH
Like those bottles did you order them or make them. It does get easier as the days go on! And they are right warm or riom temp is water is better. I got and stomach freeze once from drinking cold water to fast, think a brain freeze is bad you don't want to try a stomach freeze thought I was going to die
JaneJetson60
on 8/22/13 8:09 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Hi Alleyoop,

I was the same way.  Terrified I would go back in the hospital.  My surgeon said to drink with no time limits.  So even though I was sicker than a dog with nausea I drank all day and into the night, and since I wasn't sleeping worth a darn I would drink in the middle of the night.  Liquids are more important than anything and if you have protein drinks, that is counted as a liquid.  Don't worry about getting in all your protein right now, but broth, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles all count as liquids. I flavor my water with Mios water enhancers and you need to try whatever you can to get it down.  I never had to go back to the hospital and to this day at 15 months I still drink like a mad dog because now I love my water with Mio in it.   Try crystal light any liquids warm or cold just remember to keep telling yourself I have got to get my liquids in over and over.   If you don't you will have to go and don't hesitate if you are dehydrated!  You need to do this so you can help the Newbies down the road having surgery how you got through it.  Best of luck and keep posting.  Jane kiss

Gilly68
on 8/22/13 8:40 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

I didn't have a schedule....I just kept something beside me and sipped TINY sips every chance I had. good luck....just take it one day at a time!

diane48
on 8/22/13 9:46 am
RNY on 05/07/13

I was told to drink one ounce every 10-15 minutes but with the pain meds and being sleepy, I would forget.  So, I got a timer and set it for 15 minutes and sipped that ounce in that time.   When the timer went off I would fill up the cup and reset the timer.  I eventually used a bigger cup but still the timer for a while.  It did help get into the habit of drinking so frequently.

alleyoop
on 8/22/13 9:54 am
RNY on 08/20/13
Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I knew 2 oz wasn't enough---that's what concerned me.

I'm drinking as much as I can as often as I can. Going to try setting a timer!!

Thanks!

"what's inside is more important than what's outside. people will forget a pair of tacky shoes but they won't forget a tacky heart." sophie hudson

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 475 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 542 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 527 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 211 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 413 views
Recent Topics