Sugarfree vitamins

browneyes65
on 8/16/13 1:45 pm - IN

A friend of mine told me I will have to take sugar free Flinstone vitamins after surgery, the problem is I cannot find them. Do you know what other sugar free vitamins I will be able to take that I can buy at the store ?

Needanewbeginning
on 8/16/13 1:51 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Never heard of sf ones but from I understand flintstone vits are not enough of what we need post op. follow what your centre tells you, but please don't tell me they suggest flintstones? 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

poet_kelly
on 8/16/13 9:44 pm - OH

Unfortunately, some do suggest Flintstones!  In that case, I would not follow what they told me.  I would tell them that I prefer to choose a multi that follows the ASMBS guidelines and discuss better options with them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Needanewbeginning
on 8/16/13 11:54 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I just don't get that. Incredible isn't it.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

poet_kelly
on 8/16/13 11:55 pm - OH

Disturbing. 

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/17/13 2:58 am
RNY on 05/13/13

It really is disturbing. I honestly feel like my husband and I owe a LOT of our good health now and in the future, to learning so much here and a great deal of it through Kelly!

We have chosen to go with 95% of our vitamins through Celebrate--LOVE THEM!  I do buy my dry D and A at Vitamin Shoppe and my sublingual B-12 at Costco...everything else is from Celebrate and I think the pricing is great, shipping is free and customer service CANNOT be beat!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

browneyes65
on 8/17/13 10:43 am - IN

Can I buy Celebrate at the store,  I know I can get D,A and sublingual at the store, so I wanted to know is there a reason you buy at Vitamin Shoppe is it any different than buying at the Walmart store, do you get more? Thanks

Maggie May
on 8/16/13 4:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/13
Cherokeesage
on 8/16/13 4:59 pm, edited 8/16/13 4:59 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

There are numerous vitamins to choose from post op but Flintstone vits are not a good choice for us.  I've tried several brands of bariatric vitamins plus over the counter Centrum.  While at the OAC conference this week I've accumulated several free samples of vits that I haven't tried so believe me you will have no trouble finding good vitamins.  My surgeon's office gave samples to try.  Check to see if your surgeon does this.  Type in Bariatric Vitamins and go to the various websites to request free samples.  I think the most I paid for samples that were not free was $3.00.  Just remember like protein and everything else - what you tolerate preop may not suit the taste buds post op.  Thus samples are great.  Note that the samples are often tailored for your specific surgery needs.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

poet_kelly
on 8/16/13 9:43 pm - OH

Please don't take Flintstones!  They are missing some important nutrients, like selenium.  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery specifically says not to take children's vitamins that are incomplete and to choose  vitamin that contains minerals like selenium.

If you want a chewable multivitamin, Centrum Silver is a good choice.  I'm not sure if it is sugar free or not, but there won't be much sugar if any in one chewable tablet, which is what you will take at one time.  You would need to take two a day, total.  (Plus calcium citrate, iron, B12, D3, etc).

I'm pretty sure Celebrate, Bariatric Advantage, and Building Blocks chewable vitamins are all sugar free, but you have to order online.

Many people take vitamins that they swallow, like Centrum.  Those are generally sugar free, of course.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 208 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views