Ugh! Today everything I try to eat tastes HORRIBLE!

reddhedgrl
on 8/10/13 10:42 am
So, I'm 10 days post op... Everything I've tried to eat today tastes horrible and I get in 1 bite & that's it. So it's nearly 7pm, I've had hardly anything I need. I know my Dr said water is most important in the beginning... But I'm hoping not everything is this bad forever!! Blech! Even a Popsicle felt gritty in my mouth.
Member Services
on 8/10/13 11:44 am - Irvine, CA

Your taste buds can change.  Being 10 days post-op, it is common for everything to taste completely out of whack. 

Water can also taste awful to some post-ops as well early after their surgery.  If that happens, don't worry.  It is also quite common.  The food and water tastes that are changing will pass.

Hang in there and enjoy your journey that you've just begun.  It'll be a wonderful journey that will change your life in so many amazing ways.  After you're a little further post-operatively, you can memorialize your journey and, if you want, you can share with other members too.  You can share My Journey.

AnchorsAweigh
on 8/11/13 5:12 am

I had so much trouble the first month finding things to eat. I pretty much lived off of tomato soup and mashed potatoes -- not great choices but I just couldn't stand anything else. Gradually I added more and more healthy choices and now, at almost four months out, most everything tastes okay. I do not like the way any type of bread makes me feel (which is great!!!) but otherwise I enjoy most foods. I do stay away from candy, cake, etc.--the things that got me into this situation to begin with. So far I find it's easier to avoid them than to try small amounts. It gets so much better!

nfarris79
on 8/11/13 6:52 am - Germantown, MD

Very normal to have whacked-out tastebuds for a few weeks post-op. Adding to that, I had thrush after surgery from the antibiotics so couldn't tolerate the taste of anything! One tip is to use a straw (drinking protein shakes, liquids, etc) and stick it towards the back of your mouth to bypass most of your tongue. Most surgeons say "no straws" b/c it can cause excess gas, but it won't mess up your surgery (gotta dispell that myth!) and as you've GOTTA get your liquids & protein in somehow, for the short term, it may be useful.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

abbiesew
on 8/11/13 9:45 am
A friend of mine had thrush the first week after surgery aland they say if u have it everything tastes horrible. We had lozenges we took 5 times a day plus a preventative thrush medicine Bc it is so commom
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 68 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 68 views