Eating Out/ Food after RNY

Samantha Lightner
on 8/1/13 5:32 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

Do any of you ever eat out anymore? If you do,what is your mind set going in? 

Eating at home- What's some of your favorite meals to eat after RNY? And also what's your favorite snacks or "sweets". I know I am not the only person out there with a sweet tooth. 

Any kind of websites,tips, or recipes would be greatly appreciated. 

One more question, whats the best type of all ready protein drinks? The shakes, not the mixes? 

What do you all snack on throughout the day? I am assuming healthier foods. 

Sorry so many questions, I am just really curious. Thanks. 

Patm
on 8/1/13 5:45 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I like to snack on almonds, greek yogurt (0% low sugar), fruit, SF chocolate pudding cups and cheese. I have 3 snacks. Morning, afternoon and night. I have 3 meals and do not eat at other times.

Eggface has a lot of great recipes http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.ca/ There are also a lot of low carb, low sugar recipes on the net.

Good luck

Ericka K.
on 8/1/13 7:21 am

When did you start eating almonds?  That was one of my favorite snacks pre op and I was sad when I saw on the list from my NUT to avoid nuts and seeds.  I'm going to try them in time.  And my next appointment when I dont have any food restrictions (other than high fat, sugar etc) I plan on asking her about it.  

Patm
on 8/1/13 11:56 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was quite a way out. I forgot you said you were a receive post -op. Good luck

Katie K.
on 8/1/13 5:49 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I've been out a few times, but only to Outback. I get the steak done much rarer than I care for and just eat around the edges. I get only broccoli as a side, no salad, no soup, no potato. I eat a little of the broccoli after I finish what I'm going to eat of the steak.

I made a crockpot beef roast last night and divvied it up into portions for the rest of the week. I bought a pre-packaged ... package from Walmart that had the meat, the vegetables, and the seasonings. All I had to do was put it in the crockpot and add some water. I gave the potatoes to my roommate.

I've been having a protein bar for dessert. My nutritionist doesn't like them, says they're glorified candy bars, but I had already bought a case.

I used to drink Atkins shakes for breakfast pre-op because it helped my blood sugar come down. Not sure on the stats for that, though. A lot of people drink Isopure rtd, but I found them all vile. Like I gagged after every sip, vile. There are others out there, but I like to use Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle mixed with milk. It's a powder, but it mixes up well without foam.

I drink a protein drink for breakfast, maybe Laughing Cow cheese for a snack, an early lunch, iron, a later lunch, maybe some Laughing Cow cheese, gym, home for dinner, then bed. They're all small meals.

Ericka K.
on 8/1/13 7:16 am

Eating out I always look at the menu online and develop a plan before we walk in.  I have gone out twice since surgery on 7/8.  The first time I got a grilled chicken sandwich and disassembled it.  The second time I got grilled scallops.  Each time I eat half and have the other half for dinner or lunch the next day.  

I second the eggface website.  I just made her "baked blueberry pancake"  OMG SO GOOD!  It has 80 cal and 6 g of protein per slice.  I had fresh blueberries and was dying for something just like that.  Glad I found a WLS friendly version of what I wanted.  

poet_kelly
on 8/1/13 7:16 am - OH

Sure, I eat out plenty.  I make healthy choices most of the time when I eat out, just like I do at home.

My favorite meals - well, lately I've been making these mini-quiches in a muffin tin that I like a lot.  I also like chili a lot.  For snacks, I eat fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, cheese, or a protein shake (usually Syntrax Nectar cappoccino, yum).  Oh, or roasted chickpeas.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cbaker1163
on 8/1/13 7:47 am
Revision on 07/12/13

Eating out will come in time--it's been 4 weeks since my revision and I have not been "out" to eat. It's hard this early, there's so much you want and everything you can't have. There'll come a time when you can eat out comfortably---don't ru****

jamienichols22
on 8/1/13 7:57 am - MI

I haven't had my surgery yet but was told that a good snack is to mix the ranch dips pack ( to taste not the whole thing) and plain greek yogurt and use baby bell peppers to dip in it, I also follow the egg face page && better homes and gardens has a healthy section with a lot of great recipes. My aunt who has had the sleeve done going on 8 months said that when she eats out she tries to stick with fish, chicken and makes sure it's grilled  

karin602
on 8/1/13 8:16 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Every doctor is different but my doc says NO SNACKS EVER.  Right now though just 2 days post surgery my regimen includes 4 oz. protein shakes between my tiny meals.

Karin

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 50 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views