Rough Time

Samantha Lightner
on 7/31/13 10:56 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

I am having a really hard time right now. They're stingy with the pain meds up here,for sure. Especially coming from someone (ME) Who has cried every single time they have to stand, much less walk.. This could quite possibly (110%) worse than my c-section. Anyone else go through something similar after a post op patient sugar-coated the whole process?

Additional: 

• No Nausea YET
  • No Vomiting YET
  • I am 5'4 
  • HW-254
  • CW-232
  • DR'S GOAL FOR ME-150
  • MY GOAL- 125-130 

AnchorsAweigh
on 7/31/13 11:00 am

Except for the first night after surgery I had a pretty easy time of things. My reason for responding is to encourage you to ask for your pain medication and not to rely on them bringing it to you on time. If it isn't enough perhaps they could request more. Pain is different for everyone and there is no reason for you to be experiencing it to the degree that it makes you cry. Good luck to you--keep in mind that it gets easier every day!

karenp8
on 7/31/13 11:14 am - Brighton, IL

Make sure to ask for your meds if you need them and they don't bring them. Also if it's not helping let them know so they can maybe they can get an order for a different med. Also perhaps the other patient wasn't sugar coating anything she just has different pain tolerance. I have rheumatoid arthritis, for example and deal with pain every day and never took anything stronger for pain than tylenol even in the hospital. Everyone has their own journey and this is part of it and each path is a little different. Just know that it will get a bit better every day. Soon you will feel so strong and healthy you will barely remember this!

Christy C.
on 7/31/13 11:15 am - Oklahoma City, OK

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time. I had a PCA pump with Morphine after surgery along with a two booster that the nurses could give me if I asked. I would definitely demand pain control. Your pain is what you say it is. If talking to the floor nurse isn't helping then ask to speak to the nurse manager for the floor. Sometimes you have to insist. You shouldn't be in tears. Yes, there is pain but it will hinder your healing if you are in that much pain. Good luck.

HW 280  SW 258     GW 165

Walnut436
on 7/31/13 11:25 am

Yes, definitely insist on pain meds and if what they are giving you isn't working ask them to get an order for something different. I will be honest, I had an awful first 3 days in the hospital. I was in a lot of pain, had several complications (not related specifically to the surgery) and my drain was bleeding like mad. So, I was miserable but the one thing I did keep asking for was pain meds and they were pretty accommodating after I begged. They had to try 3 or 4 different ones before they got something that worked. Then my doc said he normally sent people home with vicodin liquid but that didn't work for me so they ordered morphine liquid (worst tasting stuff ever---but it was the only thing that worked).  Just be nice and insistent. You definitely should not be in tears!  It does get better...I promise!  Hoping you get some pain relief soon!

doramee
on 7/31/13 11:37 am - Porter, TX

I was warned that I would need to ask for pain meds by my doctor.  I had the pump until I went home but they gave me a dose of the hydrocodone with in minutes of removing it.  Just keep asking.  Be a pain if you have too.  They are supposed to take care of you.  Good Luck!  I had my worst pain after I got home at about the one week mark.  I have had a lot of nausea and side effects from the meds.  I wondered and compared to my 3 c sections! lol  BUT I promise it will get better and I lost 25 LBS in one week!!!  And am under 300 forthe firsttime in idk how long.

Ramee

Bibo
on 7/31/13 12:00 pm

exactly what others have said. If you get nowhere, ask to speak to the charge nurse. If she can't help you ask for the patients rights advocate. Another source of "complaint" might be the chaplain....they can at least raise the issue with patients rights on your behalf.  WHen i had my knee done, they did not have my PCA hooked up correctly and it was leaking on the floor for three days before someone noticed and told the nurse.  I raised holy hell. Actually cussed in front of a nun I was hurting so bad. It will take a while to live that down, but oh well.  Maybe they can check if it's working.  Hope you feel better.

changingmomma
on 7/31/13 1:59 pm
What medication are you prescribed? Do you know how often you are ordered to get it? Most of the time pain meds are ordered PRN (as needed) and the nurse will not give it to you without you asking for it. Also, I know some nurses might, but as a Nurse I never wake up a patient to give them pain meds. So maybe she came in while you were resting?

The most important thing is to stay ahead of the pain.. You had major surgery! Even if your pain is only a 3 or 4 out of 10 I would still take it. It's much easier to control pain from the lower end than playing "catch up" when it's a 10/10.
AlohaJen
on 7/31/13 9:26 pm
RNY on 09/05/12

Hi again, I am so sorry you are still in pain. I also had a C-Section many years ago and it should not hurt that much.  I said in my post yesterday, they gave me morphine at first for 24 hrs and it was not even touching the pain, but when they tried the liquid Lortab, it helped so much and that is what he sent me home with.   My sister is an RN and she said they are told to only give patients the pain meds when they ASK for it , even if it is time for their next dose. So please write down everytime you get some so you can keep track when it is due and ask for the patient advocate of your hospital.... EVERY hospital in USA should have one..... Good Luck, it will get better.

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

PetHairMagnet
on 7/31/13 9:48 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
Did you have open RNY? I had lap RNY and a c-section and the RNY was NOTHING in comparison. It was a breeze! Have you talked to your surgeon? I was back at work in a week and walking several miles a day starting the first 24 hours.

I do not consider it sugar coating, it was a breeze!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 60 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views