lost 110 (260 to 150) Gained 17 back Im in month 19

Liz J.
on 7/31/13 6:01 am - Woonsocket, RI

I'm Back to overeating and drinking empty calories (Coca~Cola) my WEAKNESS.. For the last 2 days I have started my day with a 30 grams of protein shake made with skim milk but as the day goes on I lose my control.

My clothes are tight. If they get any tighter Ill have to go up a size

Advice is welcome but the real reason I'm here is to hold myself accountable. This board helps me with that. I also stopped walking. I was doing up to 3 miles a day and felt sooo good!

I have to find my way back.

cajungirl
on 7/31/13 6:29 am

Liz are you logging your intake?  Focusing on protein dense foods first?  Not drinking while eating or at least 30 minutes after?  The maintenance part is definitely more work than the rapid early part of this journey.

You can do it!!!! One day at a time, one minute at a time. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Ladytazz
on 7/31/13 6:31 am

I know how you feel.  With my first WLS my downfall was regular Dr Pepper.  I was drinking that by the gallon it seems.  Then in a moment of genius thinking I thought it would be healthier if I replaced it with orange juice.  Before long I was drinking at least 1/2 a gallon of it a day.  Small surprise that I regained 100 lbs.  I can look back at it now and wonder what the hell was I thinking but at that time it made perfect sense.  I was addicted to sugar, refined carbs, especially things with white flour and large quantities.  As long as I was ingesting those things I couldn't think right, much less stop.  My revision gave me the opportunity to detox, actually forced me to.  After being in the hospital and on heavy duty pain meds detoxing was a piece of cake.  After a few weeks it was out of my system and the cravings were gone.  I was able to follow my post op eating instructions with no problems.  The quantity problem was solved by finally having restriction, something that I never had the first time.  I'm not a big fan of pain and overeating hurts like hell and I am finally able to figure that out and stop before the pain hits.  Not 100% but a lot better then before when I ate and ate and ate no matter how much pain I was in.

Dumping also helps, believe it or not.  After 3 years I still remember how terrible it is to dump and I have no desire to intentionally put myself through that again.  But that is because I have detoxed and have some sanity back where food is involved.  When I was in my addiction I was powerless to stop no matter how bad the consequences.

I don't know if you have a physical or mental addiction to certain foods or to overeating.  Only you can know that.  But if you do, or suspect you do then the only way to stop is to get help, support and then abstain from that which you have no control over.  Much easier said then done I know.  I had to go through major, open surgery before I was able to finally stop.  My detox was with heavy duty pain meds to blunt the withdrawal.  That is why I'm not totally against the 5 day pouch test, only I don't really call it that.  I call it a detox or whatever, a plan to start all over again and get those things out of your system and an opportunity to look at what the problems are and how to work on them.  I cannot stop eating those things if I continue to think I can somehow manage them in small amounts.  I have tried the moderation thing and it has failed miserably for me.  For many it works great and I don't begrudge anyone who can eat that way.  Just like alcohol, which I also must abstain from, I cannot take even a small amount into my body without setting myself up for failure, a complete inability to control the amount I consume.  That is me, it may not be you or anyone else reading this.  I had to come to terms with these things for myself and it took failing my first WLS, a type of WLS that is touted as virtually failure proof.  It was with great humiliation that I accepted that I did indeed fail it because of my own bad choices and I would continue to fail and surgery or diet attempt I undertook without help and complete honesty and willingness on my part.  My revision helped me a great deal by giving me physical limits and repercussions to eating that way but in itself it wouldn't have done a thing if I didn't take the steps to maximize the help.  It is like having a tool box in your house.  It does nothing if you don't use it.  I have yet to see a hammer make anything all by itself.  The right tools and the knowledge how to use them properly is the key to success for WLS.

Good luck to you.  I'm not going to tell you to get into counseling or Overeaters Anonymous or any other advice.  You know all that if you are anything like most of us that have been brought to the point of desperation by our morbid obesity.  Those are all tools, too.  It is up to each of use to find out what tools we need and how to best use them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

nfarris79
on 7/31/13 6:50 am - Germantown, MD

No doubt, maintenance is a mo-fo! BUT the first step in change is recognizing there's a problem....So you've started days with good intentions and it goes downhill. What sets you up to lose control? What can you put in place that might set you up for success? It can vary for people - tracking, planning, managing emotions, going to therapy, accountability, increasing physical activity, finding something you love, going to support groups.....  There's also a forum for getting back on track here on OH, so avail yourself of any and all things that work for you! Good luck!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Joyceebaby
on 7/31/13 7:20 am
RNY on 11/29/12

I don't really have any advice, but applaud you for catching yourself early and reaching out for help.  

BWB
on 7/31/13 8:11 am

It always helps me to have everything in writing.  Make out your menus a week in advance.  Write down the snacks that you will allow yourself to eat.  Don't let anyone distract you from your schedule.  You need to put yourself first.  Good luck.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/31/13 8:52 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Are you on MFP? I would be happy to be an encouraging friend! I am almost addicted to it, I will log a single almond, but I am terrified of gaining and falling into bad habits, so I am on it A LOT!

LALALA28115 is my user name.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Walnut436
on 7/31/13 11:51 am

I'm addicted to MFP too. I don't eat a single thing without logging it FIRST!  I got a new phone (and I'm technology challenged)...It won't let me search for people by their user name anymore (or I can't figure out how to do that on this phone app)....but I was going to try and add you (mcmillin731)...love having people to follow!

sarah_durso
on 7/31/13 10:29 am

SOunds like you know what to do. Stop drinking soda and start exercising again .   have you ever seen a therapist for food addiction ?   You may want to look into it before you find yourself where you were a few yrs ago .  Just remember ll the reasons why you had the surgery in the first place. do you really want to go back there ?  I really hope you can get a handle on it and seek some help. Perhaps OA would help . I did that, and really enjoyed it .

sarah_durso
on 7/31/13 10:31 am

SOunds like you know what to do. Stop drinking soda and start exercising again .   have you ever seen a therapist for food addiction ?   You may want to look into it before you find yourself where you were a few yrs ago .  Just remember ll the reasons why you had the surgery in the first place. do you really want to go back there ?  I really hope you can get a handle on it and seek some help. Perhaps OA would help . I did that, and really enjoyed it .

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics