recipe help

Ericka K.
on 7/23/13 7:18 am

I found a recipe for ham and cheese egg muffins.  The problem is it has white flour in it.  I'm going to post the recipe below and ask if anyone has an idea of how I can modify it to make it more post op friendly.  I'm guessing that most of the calories are coming from the flour and the full fat cheese which I would change to the Cabot 50% less fat shredded cheddar.  I would probably change the ham for Canadian bacon or another lean ham.  I just don't know what to do with the flour. 

300 g self raising flour
2.46 ml savoury instant bouillon granules (such as vegetable or chicken)
2.46 ml smoked paprika or 2.46 ml sweet paprika
4.92 ml dry English-style mustard
150 g chopped smoked ham
185 g grated mature farmhouse cheddar cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
250 ml milk
88.74 ml light olive oil or 88.74 ml light vegetable oil
salt and pepper
29.58 ml chopped chives (optional)
Directions:

1Pre-heat an oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 5.

Grease a 12 hole muffin or bun tray/pan.

Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper - but be careful not to over salt as the stock powder will contain salt.

Stir in the ham and cheese, and chives if using, mix again.

Add the egg, milk and olive oil - mix well - but do NOT over mix - just enough to combine the ingredients together. Adjust the consistency if too dry by adding a little more milk - the mixture should be a soft dropping consistency.

Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin/bun tray/pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffins are well risen and golden brown.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.

Nutritional Facts for Auberge Cheddar Cheese and Ham Breakfast Buns - Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value Calories 562.2 Calories from Fat 267 47%Total Fat 29.6 g 45% Saturated Fat 10.6 g 53% Cholesterol 86.2 mg 28% Sodium 655.3 mg 27% Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g 16% Dietary Fiber 1.7g 7% Sugars 0.4 g 1% Protein 22.4 g44%

changingmomma
on 7/23/13 7:32 am
I make egg muffins all the time and have never used flour. I mix egg whites, cheese, and seasonings of choice in a bowl. I fill the muffin tins with whatever fillings I am using (in your case it would be the ham) and then I pour the egg mix on top. I fill the muffin tin up 3/4 and pop it in the oven for 20 mins at 350 degrees. Super easy and makes breakfast for the week!!
LilyBugsMommy
on 7/23/13 12:05 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Bump

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Day_dream_believer
on 7/23/13 7:47 am, edited 7/23/13 7:48 am

Check out http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/  .  She has lots of recipes for different types of egg bites that are WLS friendly.  

There is also a lot of fat in these.  You could do 2 egg whites instead of an egg.  That would cut down on calories and fat a little bit.    As for the carbs you could do a combination of whole wheat flour and regular flour, but you would still have a lot of carbs. 

Edited to add...

If you go to sparkspeople recipes you can type in your modifications and see the difference.

LadyLilMax
on 7/23/13 9:33 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Good for you for seeking a healthier way to make this really yummy sounding recipe.

i am not much of a cook but I have had great success in substituting unflavored soy protein powder, an egg and yogurt or ricotta cheese for a lovely fluffy flourless type danish so that may work.  Good luck

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

65rosesmom
on 7/23/13 10:18 am

I buy the  Atkins Baking mix for this type of thing.  It converts pretty well.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Ericka K.
on 7/23/13 10:30 am
Do you buy that in the regular grocery store? Would you use the same amount of the baking mix as flour?
Lori F.
on 7/23/13 8:49 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

You can also make a flour by grinding oatmeal.  Doesn't make it low-carb, but it's better-for-you carbs than white flour :)  You can also pick up Quinoa Flour at the grocery store (usually in the health or gluten free sections).

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Ericka K.
on 7/23/13 11:10 pm
Thanks for your help. I checked out theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and found some yummy recipes. I'm also going to look for a low carb baking mix. I saw Red Mill makes one. Does anyone have experience with a low carb baking mix? I also thought almond flour may work but I don't know if I need to make any adjustments when I use it.
Recent Topics