Question about calories!!

aspanishdancer
on 7/21/13 12:14 pm - Covington, GA

Hello I'm needing a little advice ok I know we are not really suppost to focus on calories or at least my doctors office don't want us too but I'm 3 weeks post-op and I calculate my calories for today and I haven't even ate my dinner my calories intake as of 10:20pm is 543 and if I eat my chicken that I cooked it will be 673 I thank that's a lot does anyone know how many calories the standard RNY patien should consume? 

poet_kelly
on 7/21/13 12:20 pm - OH

I'm not sure there is a "standard" RNY patient.

When trying to lose weight, RNY patients should consume fewer calories than they burn.  When trying to maintain their weight, RNY patients should consume the same number of calories that they burn.  I know that's a really vague answer, but chances are, you and I burn different numbers of calories, so we would need to eat different numbers of calories, too.

I don't think 673 calories is much at all.  You probably burn about 1200 calories just breathing and keeping your heart beating and stuff.  That means you could probably sit on the couch all day and do nothing and burn 1200 calories.  So even if you do no exercise at all, you should be losing weight if you only eat 673 calories in a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/21/13 12:31 pm - OH

There is no standard amount of calories, especially since individual surgeon's post-op eating plans are so different.  (Some people are still on liquids or purees at 3 weeks out, for example, and so will probably be taking in fewer calories.)  Less than 700 calories doesn't seem like a lot based on what people post here.  Yes, it is more than some people get in the first month, but weight loss isn't going to be affected by getting, say, 550-600 calories instead of 700.  Making healthy choices and getting in enough protein is far more important to your weight loss and overall health than the number of calories.  Focus on developing the new, healthy eating habits rather than worrying about calories because it is the new eating habits that will be the primary determinant of how successful you are long-term.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

AnchorsAweigh
on 7/21/13 12:47 pm

At my six week check-up it was recommended I eat around 800 calories a day. At my three-month check-up they said I should be at 1,000 calories a day. In all actuality I am probably eating around 600 calories a day. I am also still struggling with protein. I think it will be easier when I am up to adding a bit more food in my diet.

Ladyintheloop
on 7/22/13 12:14 am - TX
RNY on 07/08/13

My surgeon's handbook says 400-600 calories for the first 6 months or so, peaking at 1100-1500 at one year and for maintenance. YMMV depending on your activity level.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/22/13 12:21 am - OH

Only 600 calories at 6 months out?  Then you double that over the next 6 months?  I cannot imagine eating only 600 calories at 6 months out.

Keeping calories too low for too long can cause the body to permanently lower your metabolism which can then make it harder to lose (and keep off) the weight.

Lora

poet_kelly
on 7/22/13 2:44 am - OH

400 to 600 calories for six months sounds super low to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kinny09
on 7/22/13 3:40 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

My surgeon's guidelines are for between 550-650 per day for 3 meals and snack, for the first 3 months postop. I don't have a guide for past that yet, but I am certain it increases gradually overtime as our stomachs heal.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

purpleswingline
on 7/22/13 5:49 am - Fayetteville, AR
RNY on 08/26/13

If you go to your profile and go down to settings and then go to health tracker it will show what your Resting Metabolic Rate and Activity Metabolic Rate is after listing your height and weight.  Maybe this will help.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/22/13 6:11 am, edited 7/22/13 6:12 am - OH

Hmmm... I don't see anything for metabolic rates in my Health Tracker.  I looked at all the tabs and (I think) everything under all of them.

edited:  Just FYI for others, for some reason you cannot click on Health Tracker link next to your avatar.  If you do, for some reason it does not include the same stuff as when you click the Health Tracker tab.

Lora

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 257 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 189 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?