So upset with my personal trainer

Missy A.
on 7/22/13 2:19 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

So, I saw my personal trainer that worked with me for a couple of months today. Really she just put me on a strengthening circuit and adjusted the schedule as I became more fit. She really didn't do any personal training. Anywho, today she was with a class of about 5 people. Se saw me, it has been a few months since we saw each other last, and was really excited of how well I'm doing, she kept saying I looked fantastic and then asked me how much I have lost all together. I told her over 145lbs. Se was very happy and surprised, As we were saying our goodbyes I heard one of her students ask her how I lost so much weight. Se said "Oh she had surgery"! And that was it. No and she has been working hard at the gym every day since September or anything like that. I felt so cheated. She acted like it was the surgery that made me lose the weight. And while I recognize that the surgery helped me, I do believe going to the gym and working out is why I have been so successful. Yes I would have lost weight w/o going to the gym, but maybe not as much or maybe I wouldn't be as toned or lost as many inches as I have, all in all, I guess I just wish she would've given me some credit. And really, I don't think she should be telling people I don't know that I had WLS. A I will ask her not to do that anymore when I see her on Wednesday. 

Sorry for the rant. Just needed to get it off my chest!

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Justcallmesuz
on 7/22/13 2:21 pm
RNY on 05/08/13

How incredibly unprofessional of her. I do not blame you for being upset.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/13 2:52 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/13

I would say something to her. Confront her and educate her.  Horribly unprofessional.

So sorry.

Wobbly3
on 7/22/13 5:03 pm

Missy..............you might want to mention that any revelation of your medical information without your express and written consent is a violation of the Federal HIPPA act.

On another note, it is good that you are involved in an exercise program. That is essential to your success and continued success. I was absolutely disgusted with the surgeon my wife had because during the pre-surgery interview, she made the comment, "Well, your like me, not a Gym Rat, so I don't put too much emphasis on forma excercise programs." I was totally disappointed with her attitude. My wife, God Bless her, continues to struggle to keep her weight down and coupled with the inability to lose weight, she now has digestion problems, knee and back problems and mal-nutrition problems. Your on the right path........Keep up the good work! Your body will thank you.

saterry
on 7/22/13 9:11 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

HIPPA is ONLY for health care professionals and other agencies that can transmit confidential personal health information. Gym trainers are not governed by this regulation anymore than a gas attendant would be covered. If you don't want people to know, tell NO ONE !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

poet_kelly
on 7/22/13 10:39 pm, edited 7/22/13 10:42 pm - OH

I don't think HIPPA applies to personal trainers, since they are not health care providers and their services are not covered by health insurance.

ETA: I looked it up.  HIPPA does only apply to health plans (insurance, medicare, medicaid, etc) and health care providers.  There are some exemptions, but most health plans and health care providers are covered.  Personal trainers, gyms, things like that which are not considered health care providers are not covered.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lynnc99
on 7/22/13 10:18 pm

I made it clear to my trainer that my surgery was something I held in strict confidence. Even after the fact, I'd let her know that she crossed a boundary. 

poet_kelly
on 7/22/13 10:40 pm - OH

I would definitely talk to her about it.  She should not have told anyone about your surgery without your permission, and she should understand how hard you've worked.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/23/13 11:15 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I would be PISSED! I would have addressed it with her ASAP and if she is employed by the gym, I would formally complain in writing. It is not HER place to tell YOUR business!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 429 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 282 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 161 views
Recent Topics