Told someone about getting the surgery

browneyes65
on 7/15/13 4:06 pm - IN

I went to Krogers today and seen a friend of the family and we started to talking, she is heavy set in her early 30's and pregnant with twins again second time with twins again.  Ok so she started talking about having to try to lose some weight after she has her babies and I said I'm so tired of trying to lose weight I lose and gain it back and more and I have finally decided on weight loss surgery, I told her I'm 48 and have a 19 month old little girl to take care of and my weight is holding me down. I can feel every pound on my 4'11 270 lbs frame, thought I did not tell her my weight  to embarrassing. Anyway she said watch out a lady at Church had the surgery to and she gained back her weight. Be careful it's dangerous, she told me she is going to try to lose her weight on her own and I said your young still so maybe you will but when your pushing 50 like me you might think different. She just said good luck ! So what I want to know is does your body start absorbing food later on down the road ?

Ladyintheloop
on 7/15/13 4:31 pm - TX
RNY on 07/08/13

Yes.  Malabsorption lasts 12-18 months.

KimInKanada
on 7/15/13 6:23 pm - Pembroke, Canada

Hello, I am 6 years out and I am still thankful for this livesaving procedure that saved my life.  Having said that, I can tell you that I eat a lot of foods in moderation and am full..I still dump on some breads sugar and ice cream..but all in all life couldn't be better..P.s. Maintaining at 166..down from 313 

KimInKanada

poet_kelly
on 7/15/13 8:26 pm - OH

Your body absorbs food from the beginning.

You have some malabsorption of macronutrients for the first couple years, which means your body doesn't absorb all the calories you eat.  It absorbs a good amount of them, though.

You will malabsorb micronutrients, like vitamins and minerals, forever.  You will absorb some of them, you just won't absorb them well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views